Sand filter vessel

Jul 31, 2015
ARLINGTON
We have had a Taglius sand filter for 20 years. This year after putting the Quicrete pool filter sand in, it split open a lateral leak. Could be just age, I don't know. I do know I will not use their sand again. Never the less, in looking at replacements, the Taglius is about $500 and Permair [who makes the Taglius tank is only $265. Reviews of the Permair tend to show early failures after warranty ends. My question is why is the Taglius so much more expensive? Thicker fiberglass?

I don't know, but the amount of difference seems to indicate something, and the early failures would be enough for me to take pause. Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the sand?

I think I read about that sand on this form. Quikrete thought it may have been bad batch or mislabeled. Any way, other people had trouble with this sand.

My only experience was using just once. I backwashed first for a long time. It was very cloudy. When I put on filter mode all seemed okay till I saw water seeping from bottom of tank. That is when I discovered the crack which was about the sand level.

What was interesting was when I tried to remove it. Usually my shopvac sucks it out rather easily. Not this time. I ended up using a cup and shoveling the sand out. The previous sand was still on the ground . When new sand was put on top it was much darker. The sand took a very long time to dry. Over a week. That is when I started to ask about sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.