Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone have a trick for painting the bull nose pool edge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone have a trick for painting the bull nose pool edge?

All of the crummy old Zip-Strip is out! Hooray!

Aiming to start the degrease, acid etch project this weekend, and maybe try and start painting.

Anyone have a trick for painting the bullnose? I'd like to get the top and rounded edge, down to the tile line. Is this going to be a "lay on your stomach and reach over" manual job? Or has someone got a good trick?

Oh - pool is filled, but 4 or 5 inches below bullnose. But the water is only 45 degrees, so I'm NOT going in there.
    28K Gallon old-skool plaster hole in the back yard in desperate need of an acid wash and a fixed skimmer diverter (yes, it's still broken)
    Hayward SuperPumpVS pushing some giant hayward cartridge filter setup
    SharcVacXL and Zodiac G2 to keep things clean

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone have a trick for painting the bull nose pool edge?

I agree. That water temp is "no bueno". You might be working on your abs this weekend. Unless you have some magical suspension tricks in your backyard.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_N View Post
    All of the crummy old Zip-Strip is out! Hooray!

Aiming to start the degrease, acid etch project this weekend, and maybe try and start painting.

Anyone have a trick for painting the bullnose? I'd like to get the top and rounded edge, down to the tile line. Is this going to be a "lay on your stomach and reach over" manual job? Or has someone got a good trick?

Oh - pool is filled, but 4 or 5 inches below bullnose. But the water is only 45 degrees, so I'm NOT going in there.
    I am sure you'll be working on your abs. I am wondering if you can tape lots of bubble wrap to the tile line with the blue painter's tape. The reason I say bubble wrap is it should float and you can get it fairly cheap at walmart in big rolls. That might prevent paint from falling in the water and staining the tile line.
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

4. Back To Top    #4

Mirror?? To help you see? attached to your head so you can use two hands??

AND you KNOW you have to share a picture of what you wearing it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Alright Kim just wants to see me make a fool out of myself LOL

I like the bubble wrap idea - I didn't even think of paint overage into the pool...grumble.
    28K Gallon old-skool plaster hole in the back yard in desperate need of an acid wash and a fixed skimmer diverter (yes, it's still broken)

6. Back To Top    #6

No, no, no I being helpful! REALLY hehe

I was thinking maybe you really could figure out a way to use a mirror so you would not have hang your head over the side trying to see the underside. The bonus for us is it WOULD look kind of silly!

Neat and good idea with the bubble wrap. You could also use Styrofoam as it floats as well.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Why are we painting the coping? Is it already painted and looking like %&^%$#^&^%%???

Because painting usually is just a short term solution.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Gwegan - it was never painted - it's just bare concrete. It's not a "must do" but more of a "cosmetic - I'll like it better painted" deal, and I'm re-painting the entire patio area so this is just a piece of the puzzle. (light sand on the patio, off-white for the coping)

I'm leaning towards the solution of just painting as much as I can now, and coming back in the warmer months and finishing off the underside.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_N View Post
    Gwegan - it was never painted - it's just bare concrete. It's not a "must do" but more of a "cosmetic - I'll like it better painted" deal, and I'm re-painting the entire patio area so this is just a piece of the puzzle. (light sand on the patio, off-white for the coping)

I'm leaning towards the solution of just painting as much as I can now, and coming back in the warmer months and finishing off the underside.
    If you are doing it in the summer I am picturing you in your swimsuit in the pool with a paint brush and this on your head...
    Amazon.com: Red Drinker Beer and Soda Guzzler Helmet (Red): Toys Games
    Pool is done! Only took 17 months! - Natural shape in-ground pool: 37x23, 505sq ft, 96ft perimeter, 7ft deep end, 18,950 gallons, tanning ledge, blue surf pebble sheen/luminous blue blend, Belgard coping, 910 sqft paver deck/walkways, retaining walls out the yinyang. Jandy SWG, 2 LED Color lights, VS 2HP Pump, 460sqft cartridge filter, PDA RS P8 controller. My build

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh yeah! That would do the trick!

Kim