Did I need to lower TA before adding borates?

ddavis

Jan 26, 2016
College Station
I'm a new pool owner with a 2 month old pool and trying to get the water balance set. From reading a LOT on this great forum, I'd like to add borates but I haven't yet been able to get the TA level down to the recommended levels on most of the older posts. Does the TA really need to be in recommended 70-80 range before adding the borax/MA? I've been trying the add MA and aerating (6+ gallons of MA so far) but can't seem to get below a TA of about 120 yet. The high TA of my source water really hits the levels when I have to add water (like after a backwash).

My current readings with a Taylor K-2006 and Spinstir -

FC 2.8
PH 7.6
TA 120
CH 280
CYA 70
water temp - 60 F

My source water (tap) has a PH of 8.4, TA of 325, CH of 25.

Thanks

The FC level has varied from 1.5 to 3.5 as I run the pump and SWG at various times while I'm doing the aerating to lower the TA. It's still to cold to swim so I haven't been quite as concerned with the FC level yet and haven't established a firm pump run schedule with the right SWG % setting. I'd like to just run the pump for about 3 to 4 hours in the morning and a couple hours in the evening. Right now, I'm running it most of the day to provide aeration from the Spa overflow waterfall and 2 bubblers. I've just added some liquid chlorine to boost the FC as needed while I'm still adjusting the SWG % to find the right settings.

Welcome to TFP!

Wow, TA of 325, bummer! Yes, get that TA down to 70 first, even 60 is fine.

Your SWG is not going to produce chlorine effectively at 60*. I usually turn mine off and switch to bleach when the water drops below 70. I test weekly at first and less as the water gets colder and uses less chlorine. By now I am testing and adding monthly. I add bleach as needed to keep FC at 10ppm or a little above, I round to the nearest gallon. I don't let it get much above 10 because the PH doesn't doesn't work correctly above 10ppm FC.

Besides aerating to lower TA you probably don't need to run your pump more than an hour or two per day.

I'm don't understand the need to raise the FC that much. On the Pool School pages, the recommended levels for a plaster pool with an SWG is FC 3 -5. Am I missing something? I'm in Texas so I'm not closing the pool, just waiting till it's warm enough outside to justify firing up the heater and enjoying a new pool!

If you think it's hard to lower your TA now, just wait. It becomes much harder to lower TA with borates in the pool. That's why you need to get the TA down before borating.

Two reasons for keeping the FC higher during winter. One is to space out the time between needing to test and add bleach. The second is that without the SWG making and maintaining chlorine daily the pool really becomes a non-swg pool and the target chlorine level for 70 cya is 8ppm. If it does warm up enough for you to decide to heat the pool and swim it will be fine to swim with FC at 10 or above. It is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA level. Chlorine CYA Chart So, you are safe up to 28ppm FC. We swam every day while SLAMing last summer with FC in the upper 20s. The kids didn't even notice.

If you think it's hard to lower your TA now, just wait. It becomes much harder to lower TA with borates in the pool. That's why you need to get the TA down before borating.

+1 !!!!!

Given your high TA fill water, you need to figure out a strategy for controlling your water loss rate (evaporation and back washing) in order to limit the use of the fill water. With that much carbonate alkalinity in the fill water, your pH is going to rise significantly just from the aeration inside the SWG cell itself. Controlling your TA fill is more important than borates right now as you're likely not to see much benefit from borates with water like that.

Also, with your pool being new, you need to let the plaster cure longer. High pH is going to a constant battle for you until the plaster ages enough. It is also a factor in the consumption of your acid and, as such, makes lowering TA more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

One thing that will dramatically help you lessen the frequency of back-washing is to use a skimmer sock (I use cheap hairnets, others use pantyhose). This cuts down dramatically on what gets in your filter. Obviously with your high TA in your fill water, anything you can do avoid filling will pay big dividends in your overall pool chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.