installing fusible link in a heater that lacks one

Dec 30, 2013
SF, CA, USA
hi folks! someone wise pointed out that my early '80s heater has no fusible link in its millivolt circuit. OK, i thought, that's easy enough to add for extra peace of mind. i bought a "Jandy Laars Pool Heater Fusible Link Assembly R0012200". one thing it says on the side is "152C", so perhaps that is the fusing temperature. now: where to put it. i ask: in gas heaters that came with such fusible links, where are they mounted?

R0012200-2.jpg

Mine has a door in front. The firemans fuse is mounted on the refractory wall just above the burner tray near pilot tube. Maybe you can find a manual online for a similar but newer heater like yours.

Heater manufacturers "engineer" in a location where the flame will "roll out" of the fire box first in the event of one. With Raypak, it is at the lower left corner of the sway brace. Jandy/Zodiac/Laars have them centered near the lower edge of the front heat shield. If your heater didn't originally have one, there is no "correct" place to mount it. IOW, You can put it where you think it may work, but you cannot rely on it to protect your heater in a timely manner in the event of a roll out, because there is no "engineered in" location for it.

Pool clown pretty much nailed it. The reason they installed these is because when the heat exchanger soots up, the flame will start to "roll" out the front of the burner compartment. This causes several obvious problems such as CO spilling into an enclosed room and the unit catching fire and burning up all of the wiring. a 152c fuse will open at 152 degC so where you put it can be critical so it does not nuisance trip.

excellent responses folks, thank you. i am looking at diagrams of successor models to my Raypak Gemini. i guess this part is what they called "flame roll-out sensor". i cannot identify the "sway brace" yet though - is that the structural crossmember between the burner assembly and the fire box?

You can place it anywhere where the flame could shoot out from the front. Many times on some models the brackets rust out and I will take and wire tie the part to the manifold or some other place where the rolled out flames could hit it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.