Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: installing fusible link in a heater that lacks one

1. Back To Top    #1

installing fusible link in a heater that lacks one

hi folks! someone wise pointed out that my early '80s heater has no fusible link in its millivolt circuit. OK, i thought, that's easy enough to add for extra peace of mind. i bought a "Jandy Laars Pool Heater Fusible Link Assembly R0012200". one thing it says on the side is "152C", so perhaps that is the fusing temperature. now: where to put it. i ask: in gas heaters that came with such fusible links, where are they mounted?

R0012200-2.jpg
    plumbing up wall-mounted equipment and plenty gauges below a 500G wooden outdoor hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: installing fusible link in a heater that lacks one

Sorry, I have no idea, but perhaps a bump to your thread here will get you an answer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine has a door in front. The firemans fuse is mounted on the refractory wall just above the burner tray near pilot tube. Maybe you can find a manual online for a similar but newer heater like yours.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Heater manufacturers "engineer" in a location where the flame will "roll out" of the fire box first in the event of one. With Raypak, it is at the lower left corner of the sway brace. Jandy/Zodiac/Laars have them centered near the lower edge of the front heat shield. If your heater didn't originally have one, there is no "correct" place to mount it. IOW, You can put it where you think it may work, but you cannot rely on it to protect your heater in a timely manner in the event of a roll out, because there is no "engineered in" location for it.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Pool clown pretty much nailed it. The reason they installed these is because when the heat exchanger soots up, the flame will start to "roll" out the front of the burner compartment. This causes several obvious problems such as CO spilling into an enclosed room and the unit catching fire and burning up all of the wiring. a 152c fuse will open at 152 degC so where you put it can be critical so it does not nuisance trip.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

excellent responses folks, thank you. i am looking at diagrams of successor models to my Raypak Gemini. i guess this part is what they called "flame roll-out sensor". i cannot identify the "sway brace" yet though - is that the structural crossmember between the burner assembly and the fire box?
    plumbing up wall-mounted equipment and plenty gauges below a 500G wooden outdoor hot tub.

7. Back To Top    #7

They have solid state versions now. I replaced the wax one on my old heater with one.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

You can place it anywhere where the flame could shoot out from the front. Many times on some models the brackets rust out and I will take and wire tie the part to the manifold or some other place where the rolled out flames could hit it.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by bricktron View Post
    i cannot identify the "sway brace" yet though - is that the structural crossmember between the burner assembly and the fire box?
    The sway brace is a fancy name for the sheet metal front of the heater(behind the front door).
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.