Pump replacement

Dec 17, 2015
Houston TX
Howdy !

My circulation pump is dying (damaged bearings) and I would like to replace the motor.

I noticed that the former owner of the house already replaced the motor of the pump since the pump datasheet says it's a 1.5HP and the motor is 3/4HP.

The part# of the pump is SPX3215Z1PE (1-1/2HP)
The part# of the motor is SP3207Z1BE (3/4HP)

I was wondering if I could replace the whole pump instead of the motor only. At least I would start over with a brand new pump and I will not have to worry about changing the impeller if I put a new 3/4HP motor.

Also a new motor would cost me about $200 before shipping on INYOPOOLS.COM and I noticed that it is the price of a brand new 1.5HP pump (see below):

http://www.amazon.com/-Ground-Pool-...id=1453859669&sr=8-6&keywords=pool+pump+1-1/2

http://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=04H3AR1PJC7QZ39D649N

Now the question is: Can I use any pump to replace the old one ? Are the dimensions the same ? Are the suction inlet and discarge outlet at the same position ?

Thank you in advance !
G

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 44824View attachment 44825

- - - Updated - - -

Good morning. To basically answer your questions - "Yes", you can use any pump (manufacture). Swapping from a whole new unit is fine and may be more beneficial at this point. Pumps do vary in overall dimensions, but as long as it will fit on your equipment pad you should be fine. The biggest thing would be ensuring you select the correct inlet/outlet size to mate-up with your existing PVC fittings. Aside from that, just shopping on-line for the best bargain and you should be fine. Others may reply with personal recommendations to better assist. Best of luck.

Note that you are comparing apples and oranges. The Amazon links lead to Chinese knock-offs, not genuine Hayward pumps or motors. You can use any motor/pump, but there may be a lot of plumbing work in your future.... there may be, anyway, even if you go back with an identical unit.

I'm going to go way out on a limb, but I really suspect that along with the motor, the prior owner changed the impeller and possibly the diffuser. Motors don't like to be overloaded and since yours seems to be running, but noisy, I'm guessing it isn't overloaded....

When I opened the pump I found this part number on the diffuser (that was broken into two pieces): SPX3200B3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VTGAVO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_

I honestly think that they did not know that they had to change the impeller and swapped the motor only. I will check the impeller P/N during lunch.
But basically buying a new motor (SPX3215Z1BER) and a new diffuser would be my best move ?
[h=1][/h]

I honestly think that they did not know that they had to change the impeller and swapped the motor only. I will check the impeller P/N during lunch.
But basically buying a new motor (SPX3215Z1BER) and a new diffuser would be my best move ?

That's going to depend on a lot of things. How handy and comfortable you are with taking on the project, compared to the various replacement costs. Check the impeller part number, too.....

Buying the cheap knockoffs provide a false economy. Properly installed and operated quality pumps will last for years. The pentair pump for my pool has been in service for 20 years. I am only considering replacement with a new 2 speed for the energy savings.

That's going to depend on a lot of things. How handy and comfortable you are with taking on the project, compared to the various replacement costs. Check the impeller part number, too.....

Just checked it says SPX3207C so I guess they did replaced the impeller. Right now I am thinking about replacing the motor AND the broken diffuser. What is the benefit of having a 1.5HP instead of 3/4HP ? I noticed that the flow is acceptable with one skimmer only but if I open the valve to have two skimmers lined up it doesn't suck the debris very well. Would that be the cause ?

I found a 1.5HP motor at $285 on Amazon (SPX3215Z1BER) and a diffuser at $30. I will have to buy a new impeller for 1.5HP as well.
I also found a Hayward SPX3215Z1PE 1.5HP Power end (that includes motor, diffuser, impeller, etc...) for $336 on Sears.com

Maybe that's better deal and it's easier to replace since it's almost plug-and-play.

If the pump is 1.5hp, the old motor 3/4hp and with both skimmers engaged is a weak draw, I would
get a 1.5hp motor to replace and match it up to a 1.5hp diffuser and impeller.

get a good name brand motor, not some cheaper unknown brand that may very well fail early.

Don't forget to get a new seal kit so you have all brand new seals in the pump.

And before ordering the motor verify if the old motor is wired as 110 or 220

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shipping is free and it says Delivery on Feb 12th which is totally acceptable since I do not need to run the pump these days.

The fine print always worries me: "Free Shipping OR get it as early as..." and the link to the warranty sorta dumps you in the creek. But, I gotta admit, the price is stellar! Let us know how this plays out.... I'm sure other readers would like access to essentially half-price motors, too....

The fine print always worries me: "Free Shipping OR get it as early as..." and the link to the warranty sorta dumps you in the creek. But, I gotta admit, the price is stellar! Let us know how this plays out.... I'm sure other readers would like access to essentially half-price motors, too....

UPS Tracking says delivery on Feb 4th ! It sounds even better like that! I will keep you posted about the warranty thing but I believe it should come with a warranty from Hayward.

Also I noticed that the pump was not bolted to the pad. It was just held by the pipes. Do you guys recommend to bolt it or is it not necessary ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.