Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump replacement

Howdy !

My circulation pump is dying (damaged bearings) and I would like to replace the motor.

I noticed that the former owner of the house already replaced the motor of the pump since the pump datasheet says it's a 1.5HP and the motor is 3/4HP.

The part# of the pump is SPX3215Z1PE (1-1/2HP)
    The part# of the motor is SP3207Z1BE (3/4HP)

I was wondering if I could replace the whole pump instead of the motor only. At least I would start over with a brand new pump and I will not have to worry about changing the impeller if I put a new 3/4HP motor.

Also a new motor would cost me about $200 before shipping on INYOPOOLS.COM and I noticed that it is the price of a brand new 1.5HP pump (see below):

http://www.amazon.com/-Ground-Pool-S...l+pump+1-1%2F2

http://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-...1PJC7QZ39D649N

Now the question is: Can I use any pump to replace the old one ? Are the dimensions the same ? Are the suction inlet and discarge outlet at the same position ?

Thank you in advance !
    G

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 44824Attachment 44825

- - - Updated - - -
    Guillaume B.

12k pool and spa spillover / In-Ground pool / Gunite pool / Swimclear cartridge filter / Hayward SPX3215Z1PE pump / Installed in 2004 / Intellichlor SWG / Hayward heater H400FDN

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump replacement

Good morning. To basically answer your questions - "Yes", you can use any pump (manufacture). Swapping from a whole new unit is fine and may be more beneficial at this point. Pumps do vary in overall dimensions, but as long as it will fit on your equipment pad you should be fine. The biggest thing would be ensuring you select the correct inlet/outlet size to mate-up with your existing PVC fittings. Aside from that, just shopping on-line for the best bargain and you should be fine. Others may reply with personal recommendations to better assist. Best of luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Note that you are comparing apples and oranges. The Amazon links lead to Chinese knock-offs, not genuine Hayward pumps or motors. You can use any motor/pump, but there may be a lot of plumbing work in your future.... there may be, anyway, even if you go back with an identical unit.

I'm going to go way out on a limb, but I really suspect that along with the motor, the prior owner changed the impeller and possibly the diffuser. Motors don't like to be overloaded and since yours seems to be running, but noisy, I'm guessing it isn't overloaded....

4. Back To Top    #4

When I opened the pump I found this part number on the diffuser (that was broken into two pieces): SPX3200B3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...etailpage_o00_

I honestly think that they did not know that they had to change the impeller and swapped the motor only. I will check the impeller P/N during lunch.
    But basically buying a new motor (SPX3215Z1BER) and a new diffuser would be my best move ?
    Guillaume B.

12k pool and spa spillover / In-Ground pool / Gunite pool / Swimclear cartridge filter / Hayward SPX3215Z1PE pump / Installed in 2004 / Intellichlor SWG / Hayward heater H400FDN

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gbraillon View Post
    I honestly think that they did not know that they had to change the impeller and swapped the motor only. I will check the impeller P/N during lunch.
    But basically buying a new motor (SPX3215Z1BER) and a new diffuser would be my best move ?
    That's going to depend on a lot of things. How handy and comfortable you are with taking on the project, compared to the various replacement costs. Check the impeller part number, too.....

6. Back To Top    #6

Buying the cheap knockoffs provide a false economy. Properly installed and operated quality pumps will last for years. The pentair pump for my pool has been in service for 20 years. I am only considering replacement with a new 2 speed for the energy savings.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    That's going to depend on a lot of things. How handy and comfortable you are with taking on the project, compared to the various replacement costs. Check the impeller part number, too.....
    Just checked it says SPX3207C so I guess they did replaced the impeller. Right now I am thinking about replacing the motor AND the broken diffuser. What is the benefit of having a 1.5HP instead of 3/4HP ? I noticed that the flow is acceptable with one skimmer only but if I open the valve to have two skimmers lined up it doesn't suck the debris very well. Would that be the cause ?

I found a 1.5HP motor at $285 on Amazon (SPX3215Z1BER) and a diffuser at $30. I will have to buy a new impeller for 1.5HP as well.
    I also found a Hayward SPX3215Z1PE 1.5HP Power end (that includes motor, diffuser, impeller, etc...) for $336 on Sears.com

Maybe that's better deal and it's easier to replace since it's almost plug-and-play.
    Guillaume B.

8. Back To Top    #8

If the pump is 1.5hp, the old motor 3/4hp and with both skimmers engaged is a weak draw, I would
    get a 1.5hp motor to replace and match it up to a 1.5hp diffuser and impeller.

get a good name brand motor, not some cheaper unknown brand that may very well fail early.

Don't forget to get a new seal kit so you have all brand new seals in the pump.

And before ordering the motor verify if the old motor is wired as 110 or 220
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

To me this looks like the best option: http://www.sears.com/hayward-spx3215...-SPM7744328203

It was wired as 120V
    Guillaume B.

10. Back To Top    #10

That appears to be an AWESOME price, but I question shipping cost vs. delivery times and whether it carries a valid manufacturer's warranty. I've never heard of UnbeatableSale.com, Inc.

11. Back To Top    #11

That appears to be an AWESOME price, but I question shipping cost vs. delivery times and whether it carries a valid manufacturer's warranty. I've never heard of UnbeatableSale.com, Inc.
    Shipping is free and it says Delivery on Feb 12th which is totally acceptable since I do not need to run the pump these days.
    Guillaume B.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by gbraillon View Post
    Shipping is free and it says Delivery on Feb 12th which is totally acceptable since I do not need to run the pump these days.
    The fine print always worries me: "Free Shipping OR get it as early as..." and the link to the warranty sorta dumps you in the creek. But, I gotta admit, the price is stellar! Let us know how this plays out.... I'm sure other readers would like access to essentially half-price motors, too....

13. Back To Top    #13

The fine print always worries me: "Free Shipping OR get it as early as..." and the link to the warranty sorta dumps you in the creek. But, I gotta admit, the price is stellar! Let us know how this plays out.... I'm sure other readers would like access to essentially half-price motors, too....
    UPS Tracking says delivery on Feb 4th ! It sounds even better like that! I will keep you posted about the warranty thing but I believe it should come with a warranty from Hayward.

Also I noticed that the pump was not bolted to the pad. It was just held by the pipes. Do you guys recommend to bolt it or is it not necessary ?

14. Back To Top    #14

Shouldn't need to bolt it down...just make sure there is no tension/weight pulling on the pipes.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

Most do not bolt their pumps down. Some do in earthquake prone areas.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Awesome ! I should be getting the new motor today. I will try to install it this weekend and I will let you know how it goes !
    Guillaume B.

17. Back To Top    #17

Soooo here is the new pump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiqD9GSAVd0

It sounds so peaceful

Also I noticed the pressure on the gauge of the filter went from 10PSI (when I had a 3/4HP) to 18PSI with the new pump. My guess is that it's a normal behavior but I just want to double-check with you guys.
    Guillaume B.

18. Back To Top    #18

Looks good to me...... and I would expect the pressure to be greater than the older, smaller pump.