Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How is Aquanaut ("The Poolcleaner" clone) with larger leaves.

1. Back To Top    #1

How is Aquanaut ("The Poolcleaner" clone) with larger leaves.

I'm considering switching from a Kreepy Krauly classic to a Hayward Aquanaut (i.e. a clone of "The Poolcleaner") in order to get more even overall coverage in my pool. The KK tends to run a repeated pattern for me and doesn't reliably go everywhere. I can get it to vary it's path by making adjustments, but it just does a "new" repeated pattern when I do this.

The thing I'm not too clear about is how the "Poolcleaner" design (2 wheel) deals with larger leaves, like sycamore. I know that pressure side cleaners with bags are more suited to this, but I want to stick with a suction side cleaner. How do the "Poolcleaner" style cleaners compare to the KK in this respect? I've looked at videos on youtube, but I'm interested in hearing some user feedback here. I'm generally used to manually picking up leaves with a net when things get bad, so I don't expect miracles here, but I'm not sure if large leaves would actually jam the Aquanaut, which isn't usually a problem with the KK.

Los Angeles, CA -- 22K gallon in-ground plaster pool with spa, built around 1980, replastered around 2009-2010.
    Pentair Intelliflo VS (variable speed) pump and Quad 100 DE filter. Older "MiniMax" gas heater. Pentair Rebel cleaner.
    NO SWG - Liquid Cl only. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: How is Aquanaut ("The Poolcleaner" clone) with larger leaves.

Larry, We have Oak trees near us, we do not get many leaves in the pool but it has no problem sucking them up.. I am going to get an inline bag so I don't have to empty the pump basket as much..

I am leaning toward this one.. : Zodiac Cyclonic Automatic Pool Cleaner Leaf Catcher Canister : Patio, Lawn Garden

I love my poolcleaner, he stays in the pool all the time.. when the pump turns on he goes to cleaning
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

We have a Chinese Elm and the cleaner does a fairly good job with that size leaf but during leaf fall when we get a ton in the pool. However it does clog up if you are not on top of cleaning out the leaf trap. BTW, it is a necessity to get a leaf catcher or trap for the cleaner. You don't want all those leaves ending up in the pump basket where it can severely restrict flow.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Agree that a leaf canister is a must! I have zodiac mentioned above and it seems to hold a good bit. Have to be careful or it will allow a little air to be sucked in.

I like that the hoses stay connected when you clean it so they do not float away.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!