Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin DX4 Spins on Main Drains

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin DX4 Spins on Main Drains

We've been using a Dolphin DX4 with our pool since it was built 4 years ago. Overall, the robot is good (once I learned, after 3 failed power supplies, that the power supply must be covered) but it spends a lot of time "spinning" on top of the main drains. Sometimes it will just spin around one of the drains for 5 minutes or more before "freeing itself" and moving on. This model has a single drive track that spans the entire width of the robot. The problem is that, because it gets "caught" on the main drains so often, it sometimes doesn't clean the whole pool.

Is there a another robot out there (either Nautilus brand or something else) that doesn't have this problem? I don't know, for example, if the Dolphin cleaners that have a "split track" might be better suited for us?

Any suggestions?
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin DX4 Spins on Main Drains

Call Maytronics and they will send you a free replacement plastic part that redirects the top exhaust. They sent me one, but I have yet to install it, as mine never hangs up on the main drain.

I only ordered it just in case, so I don't know for sure if it works or not.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Jim,

Thanks....I will see if I can find a phone number for Maytronics and call them.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmm, I wonder if they have a similar answer for the z5. Mine spends an awful lot of time hung up on main drains and just stays there until I move it.
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

5. Back To Top    #5

Just a quick update on this....I contacted Maytronics yesterday and they are sending me a kit they say takes care of this problem. They say it replaces the fan cover at the top of the robot with one that makes the unit more buoyant, reducing the likelihood it will get hung up on the main drains. I was told I should get it within 3-4 days, and will provide an update here regarding how useful it is.

6. Back To Top    #6

My Dolphin Primal X3 has only been stuck on the drain one time. It probably would have come off, but I don't have much patience. HA! I called as well for the replacement hood, and have not installed it either.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Update:

I installed the kit Maytronics sent yesterday, and can say it definitely helps. I didn't see my DX4 get hung up once on the main drains!

8. Back To Top    #8

Later Update:

I spoke too soon with the previous update! I noticed Saturday that the unit still spins on the main drains. I'm sure it's not a full filter bag issue, as I just emptied a 10% full bag on Friday.

I guess the attachment Maytronics sent me doesn't help all that much, after all.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have the modified top cover for my DX5+S and so far it hasn't hung up on the drain covers for me. I also noticed that the robot will now climb better on our top step that it never got up on before - so something with the water jet being re-directed is helping it climb shallower steps.
    2015 Build Link: 15'x30' Rectangle (3'-6", 5', 4' depth) 14,000 Gallon Pool, Finish: Wet Edge Primera Stone Black Kona. TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin DX5+S Robot, Jandy CL460 Filter, VS 2HP pump, AquaPure 1400 SWG, iAqualink2, Automatic Safety Cover. No Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Update: Our Robot is still getting stuck on the main drain covers - I pulled it off twice over the weekend and then while watching it run for only about 5 minutes it got stuck again....grrrrrr
    2015 Build Link: 15'x30' Rectangle (3'-6", 5', 4' depth) 14,000 Gallon Pool, Finish: Wet Edge Primera Stone Black Kona. TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin DX5+S Robot, Jandy CL460 Filter, VS 2HP pump, AquaPure 1400 SWG, iAqualink2, Automatic Safety Cover. No Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Santacruz...it appears we're both seeing the same results with the VGB cover. It helps a bit...but the robot still gets stuck on drain covers.

I wish I knew if different robots don't suffer from this. For example, will the Maytronics model with the split scrubber brush be less likely to be hung up by the drain cover? Would their i300 model navigate these covers better? Maybe the Polaris brand is better for this application. Too many unknowns!

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't know if it helps, but my Z5 doesn't get stuck on the main drain. It has split scrubbers. But is that correlation or causation? That's the question.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

I think it might be the height of my 2 main drain covers - I have seen some "low profile" drain covers that are still VGB anti-entrapment covers, however I haven't found one in black like I need....plus I don't know if I could hold my breath long enough to change them out!

I see that some of the covers are lower profile, and have sloped edges. My cover is kind of tall and has a big flat surface that the robot gets stuck on. I was thinking of putting a couple of rubber bumpers on the bottom of the robot to allow it to tilt when it sits on something, but I worry it will hang up on other areas. If I could get the covers off easily I could add a bumper to one edge which would tilt the robot when it was on top of the cover...hmmm

14. Back To Top    #14

That could be it. Mine is fairly low profile and the edge is sloped.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

My S300 has no issues but I can't tell if it's the cleaner or my drain cover, which has a very low profile.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

16. Back To Top    #16

I have the S300i. It occasional does get stuck on the drain cover, but usually resolve itself within 15 seconds. My drain cover are definitely not low profile.

Which drain cover are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    My S300 has no issues but I can't tell if it's the cleaner or my drain cover, which has a very low profile.
    Pool Remodeled June 2015. 18K Gallon IG kidney shaped. Pebble Tec (Tahoe Blue) finish. Jandy ePump 2HP. Hayward SwimClear C2025 filter. Hayward SWG. Jandy iAqualink RS6 automation. 6 Deck Jets. Pool Remodel Link Future: Acid automation. Chlorine automation for winter. Solar panels.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by diverminh View Post
    I have the S300i. It occasional does get stuck on the drain cover, but usually resolve itself within 15 seconds. My drain cover are definitely not low profile.

Which drain cover are you using?
    Triodyne Anti Hair Snare Plus, White, Ansi Ok (tss-2800cs) - INYOPools.com
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner