First time Pool Owner

Jan 20, 2016
Houston
Hi everyone,

I'm a first time pool owner and I would like to know as much as I can about my pool equipment. If someone could help me identify what I need to do to these equipment on a regular basis. Example, clean out skimmer and clean filter.

Please help identify where is the filter that I need to replace regularly and the skimmer I am supposed to empty out.

It's been about 2 weeks since I have been taking over the pool and i have not done anything to the pool.

Any information and tips would greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20160121_111348.jpg
    20160121_111348.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 356
Hello and welcome! :wave: First thing - you MUST have the proper test kit. You can order one from TFTestkits.net. Do NOT reply on store testing or test strips. I have the TF-100 as do many others. Great product. Most everything you do from here is based on that test kit and YOUR results. In the meantime, do not add anything to your water. Maybe just some regular liquid bleach from Wal-Mart or HEB (generic is good). About 1 gallon is all for now. You should have a surface skimmer near the edge of your pool. Lift the lid off and check the basket for any debris (leaves, etc). Keep that clean. Good thing with water temps down, you have some time to learn.

Please see the TFP Pool School page and other great links. That's a great place to start. After some preliminary reading, hit us with more questions and equipment specific stuff. We'll be glad to help. Welcome!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Hello and welcome! :wave: First thing - you MUST have the proper test kit. You can order one from TFTestkits.net. Do NOT reply on store testing or test strips. I have the TF-100 as do many others. Great product. Most everything you do from here is based on that test kit and YOUR results. In the meantime, do not add anything to your water. Maybe just some regular liquid bleach from Wal-Mart or HEB (generic is good). About 1 gallon is all for now. You should have a surface skimmer near the edge of your pool. Lift the lid off and check the basket for any debris (leaves, etc). Keep that clean. Good thing with water temps down, you have some time to learn.

Please see the TFP Pool School page and other great links. That's a great place to start. After some preliminary reading, hit us with more questions and equipment specific stuff. We'll be glad to help. Welcome!

About the test kit TF-100, should I buy the optional below test strip ?
Borates Test Strips (Add $9.95 ) Taylor K-1766 Salt Test (Add $21.95 )
Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer (Add $32.95 )
Salt Test Strips - Aqua Chek (Add $10.95 )
XL Option (Add $12.95 )

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Thanks. I'll take a look at the skimmer you're talking about at the edge of the pool and keep that clean. Meanwhile, I'll get a test kit as you recommended and gather more information about my pool equipment.

Is there anything that I need to do for the equipment in the picture? I notice my pool automatically turn on and run a few times a day. I'm not exactly sure what it is doing when it's running.

The fact that the pump is turning on & off on it's own means your system is on a timer which is good. No need to run all the time. Once you are able to add your pool equipment info to your sig, we'll be able to get more specific about equipment maintenance (i.e how to clean your filter, pump baskets, etc). Not real difficult. We'll take it one item at a time. I find it useful at time to click on the Table of Contents from the home page and scan for any topics that are pertinent. You might as well.

Besides cleaning the skimmer that's located along the side wall of your pool, we'll help guide you through the large filter maintenance and how to read the pressure gauge and when to clean. The 3 black "pump baskets" nearby also need cleaning from time to time. We'll help you with that soon as well. Welcome to pool ownership. :D The test kit is a great start. :goodjob:

Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment

See if this helps at all.

Take a close up of the filter and type out any info printed on it as in name and model info. (the filter is big, brown piece towards the back).

Also write down any info you find on the pumps and share it here.

Kim

TY for the link. Those pictures help me identify some of the equipment. I will get the equipment information and posted here. Thanks everyone

Also, how does your water look? It may be helpful to have a friend or relative familiar with pools to stop by and give you a hand identifying your equipment and how to manage your pool but be sure to stick w bleach to chlorinate your pool. Oh and stay out of pool stores. If all else, the experts here can help you for sure!

Also, how does your water look? It may be helpful to have a friend or relative familiar with pools to stop by and give you a hand identifying your equipment and how to manage your pool but be sure to stick w bleach to chlorinate your pool. Oh and stay out of pool stores. If all else, the experts here can help you for sure!

This is the picture of my pool. It has a jacuzzi at the end.
20160127_111817.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Can you please help me identify the Model number for the falls pump of mine? On the tag there is something that said "SP1607-Z-1-MNS", is that the pump model number? Also, when the pool inspector come out to do an inspection, his remarks was that this pump has an air leak and won't prime. What does this mean and is that something I can learn to fix? I'm an electrical engineer
20160127_111924.jpg

Nice pool. A couple things to keep in mind.... I can't make-out anything on that label, but just because the home inspection said the falls pump has an air leak and won't prime doesn't necessarily mean it's the fault of the pump itself. The inspector may not be a pool expert. If the pump turns on and appears to be trying to move water, there could be an air leak elsewhere in that line that goes from the pump (and black pump basket) back through the suction line itself where it draws the water from the source. Perhaps remove the O-Ring from the fall's black "pump basket" - it's under the clear lid. Turn it off first, then inspect it and make sure it appears to have a nice coating of silicone applied. Never Vaseline or petroleum jelly. Only use silicone lubricants intended for pool use. Maybe it is the pump, but just wanted to make sure you didn't just assume right off the bat. Also, don't worry too much about your in-line chlorinator. You'll find out quickly here at TFP we don't place a lot of value on those items except for rare occasions perhaps when you go out of town and have no way to add chlorine. The continued use of tablets (pucks) tends to make other chemical readings (specifically CYA) get "out of whack". :) Just leave that chlorinator empty. For the most part, regular (generic) bleach is the way to go (i.e. HEB's Bravo bleach).

Nice pool. A couple things to keep in mind.... I can't make-out anything on that label, but just because the home inspection said the falls pump has an air leak and won't prime doesn't necessarily mean it's the fault of the pump itself. The inspector may not be a pool expert. If the pump turns on and appears to be trying to move water, there could be an air leak elsewhere in that line that goes from the pump (and black pump basket) back through the suction line itself where it draws the water from the source. Perhaps remove the O-Ring from the fall's black "pump basket" - it's under the clear lid. Turn it off first, then inspect it and make sure it appears to have a nice coating of silicone applied. Never Vaseline or petroleum jelly. Only use silicone lubricants intended for pool use. Maybe it is the pump, but just wanted to make sure you didn't just assume right off the bat. Also, don't worry too much about your in-line chlorinator. You'll find out quickly here at TFP we don't place a lot of value on those items except for rare occasions perhaps when you go out of town and have no way to add chlorine. The continued use of tablets (pucks) tends to make other chemical readings (specifically CYA) get "out of whack". :) Just leave that chlorinator empty. For the most part, regular (generic) bleach is the way to go (i.e. HEB's Bravo bleach).

I think I figure out my Falls Pump.
According to the label, it's a Hayward - Northstar Pump Series SP1607-z-1-MNS. I was able to pool up a manual for the Northstar Pump Series which is very similiar to the pump that I have.

So this pump is responsible for pumping the water to and from my pool for the falls, am I correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
According to your first pic, that's what I would assume. The pump and pump basket to the far outside right as labeled. Looks like you should be able to turn it on/off independently from the rest of the pool while you work on it. As always, try the easy stuff first, looking for external air leaks from the suction line that comes-back from the waterfall/pool to that pump basket. Check that O-Ring under the clear lid too. If it turns-out to be the pump, that can always be replaced as time and $$ permits.

According to your first pic, that's what I would assume. The pump and pump basket to the far outside right as labeled. Looks like you should be able to turn it on/off independently from the rest of the pool while you work on it. As always, try the easy stuff first, looking for external air leaks from the suction line that comes-back from the waterfall/pool to that pump basket. Check that O-Ring under the clear lid too. If it turns-out to be the pump, that can always be replaced as time and $$ permits.

Basically, that pump does not turn on at all right now. According to the pool inspection folk, pump might need to be replaced due to it's too old

Hello All,

I finally have the TF-100 test kit and will have time today to do the testing needed. Can someone please help me on the kit? What test do I need to do with this TF-100 kit? Please be as specific as possible as this is my first time ever doing testing.

There are five chemical levels that every pool owner needs to keep track of:
FC - Free Chlorine- A sanitizer which keeps your pool water safe and free of germs. Chlorine*must be constantly replenished. (level depends on CYA)
PH - Acidity/Alkalinity- Needs to be kept in balance to prevent irritation and protect the pool equipment. (7.5 to 7.8)
TA - Total Alkalinity- Appropriate levels help keep the PH in balance. High levels can cause PH to rise. (60 to 120)
CH - Calcium Hardness- Appropriate levels help prevent plaster damage. High levels can cause calcium scaling. (220 to 350, vinyl lower)
CYA - Cyanuric Acid- Protects chlorine from sunlight and determines the required FC level. (outdoors 30 to 50, SWG 70 to 80, indoors 0 to 20)

Have a look here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

There is a laminated instruction card inside the kit that explains each test. There are also videos of each test at TFTestkits.net

Take your time, read the ABC's. You will be unsure the first few times you do this. I was and now it's almost automatic. You will get to the point in a few days when the light will come on. If possible do tests daily until the practice pays off.
The Pool calculator here is a great help. Get out the old slide rule to figure your approximate pool capacity gallons.:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Stay with this, you'll have it down in no time. It works!

Make some sort of log to track testing, I find that invaluable. The more you test and log, the better you will understand what your pool needs from you. Search the forum for Testing Log, you will have several choices to work with.

Mike

TF-100 Test

I just got my TF-100 kit and my first test is Chlorine Drop Test.
te
I followed the instruction that come with the kit for Chlorine Drop Test by adding 10mL of pool water and added 1 scoop R-0870 and the solution does not turn pink, which means my pool water does not have chlorine.

Do I need to do any other test any further or I need to get some chlorine in my pool water? If I need to add more chlorine before further testing, how much should chlorine should I added? My pool had approximately about 8500 gals of water.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.