Tips To Reduce Pump Sound And Vibration?

livin

Sep 15, 2015
Denver, CO
I bought a home with a older hot tub, has two pumps (1 speed, and 2 speed)

I had to turn the spa so the pump side now faces the home and the noise level has increased 2 to 3x.

After some troubleshooting, I found much of the noise entering the house is from vibration of the enclosure when the circulation pump is on (pump that turns on when the heater is on)

When I remove the doors (looks like PVC material/panels) in front of the pump, the noise going into the home reduces a ton to become almost unnoticeable. (of course, this is way less energy efficient as much of the heat is also leaving through the open cavity)

Any recommendations on mitigating the vibration?

I thought of a few things...

adding mass with plywood/MDF - the downside here is there is not much rooms inside the cavity and putting the doors on is already a royal PITA.

adding mass with mass loaded vinyl - this is expensive, especially if it does not work well.

adding closed cell foam - this is relatively inexpensive but not sure how much it will dampen the vibration and reduce the sound transmission fro the pump

anyone have ideas and/or dealt with this before?

thx!

Sounds to me that the cabinet around the spa is resonating, vibrating, when the panels are installed. To change that resonate frequency, you need to change the mass or stiffness. The fatmat type products work well and you can buy it n Amazon for a reasonable price. I used it on the entire interior of my FJCruiser and it's as quite as a Cadillac going down the road. You do not need to cover the entire surface of the panel to reduce the vibration. If you put some on and don't like how it sounds, add a bit more and see how it sounds.

Another idea, use some of that urethane spray foam you can get at the hardware store.

I think FatMat is an asphalt based mat... that would definitely add mass. I might just go buy some asphalt base sheet at Home Depot and try that.

What would you use the urethane spray foam for - coating the doors of the cabinet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.