Weight suggestion for Hayward W530 Leaf Canister

Rental Pool

Aug 7, 2015
Saugus, CA
To avoid the cost of frequently replacing the O-ring on this canister, I had wired a zinc ball to the handle. On this forum, people recommend against having zinc balls in the pool, so I'm wondering what else people are doing to weigh down this canister, so it doesn't float to the surface. Maybe I could fill a plastic vitamin bottle with sand and then wire that to the handle or use a lead fishing weight. Any other suggestions?

I have this canister.

When it's filled with water it sinks a little, but if a few air bubbles get it in it floats...but it doesn't cause any problems.

Not sure why this would be an issue.

Do you have the canister with 1 hose length (about 3 1/2 feet) then connected to the skimmer?

I find the O-ring starts leaking, so it sucks in air (if it is sitting on the surface). If it is underwater, it will just draw in water. I'd prefer it suck water than air, so keeping it below the surface makes more sense to me. If it draws in too much air when I'm not there, that may prevent the pump from drawing water, leading it to overheat and have to be replaced again. I'm just doing my best to save money. I do have a hose between the skimmer and the canister. In a few months, I'll run a new line from the new intake (the pool was recently replastered), so I can plug it in there rather than tying up the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.