Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weight suggestion for Hayward W530 Leaf Canister

1. Back To Top    #1

Weight suggestion for Hayward W530 Leaf Canister

To avoid the cost of frequently replacing the O-ring on this canister, I had wired a zinc ball to the handle. On this forum, people recommend against having zinc balls in the pool, so I'm wondering what else people are doing to weigh down this canister, so it doesn't float to the surface. Maybe I could fill a plastic vitamin bottle with sand and then wire that to the handle or use a lead fishing weight. Any other suggestions?
    ~20,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 15'x35' kidney-shaped plaster pool w/ Hayward DE filter and 2-wheel "The Pool Cleaner". I have a Stenner 3GPD fixed rate chlorine pump.
    This is at a rental house, and I only get there one day a week. The pool was replastered on October 20, 2015.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weight suggestion for Hayward W530 Leaf Canister

I have this canister.

When it's filled with water it sinks a little, but if a few air bubbles get it in it floats...but it doesn't cause any problems.

Not sure why this would be an issue.

Do you have the canister with 1 hose length (about 3 1/2 feet) then connected to the skimmer?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Weight suggestion for Hayward W530 Leaf Canister

I find the O-ring starts leaking, so it sucks in air (if it is sitting on the surface). If it is underwater, it will just draw in water. I'd prefer it suck water than air, so keeping it below the surface makes more sense to me. If it draws in too much air when I'm not there, that may prevent the pump from drawing water, leading it to overheat and have to be replaced again. I'm just doing my best to save money. I do have a hose between the skimmer and the canister. In a few months, I'll run a new line from the new intake (the pool was recently replastered), so I can plug it in there rather than tying up the skimmer.
    ~20,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 15'x35' kidney-shaped plaster pool w/ Hayward DE filter and 2-wheel "The Pool Cleaner". I have a Stenner 3GPD fixed rate chlorine pump.
    This is at a rental house, and I only get there one day a week. The pool was replastered on October 20, 2015.