Another O/B starting, looking for equipment advice

Oct 15, 2015
DFW, TX
don't mean to hijack the OP, but in a similar situation in which we're considering going the O/B route and wanted an accurate list of my equipment options. 92 perimeter play pool (3.5' - 5'), no attached spa and no planned water features (though that may change if we add 2-3 scuppers on the back edge of the pool). We're going with SWG and was going to stick with Pentair I think.

IntelliFlo 3HP VSP (011018) or IntelliFloXF 3HP VSP (022055). the XF is about $100 more but wasn't sure if the cost savings when running might make it worth it. PB wanted to include the IntelliFlo 3HP VSP w/ SVRS (011017) but that doesn't seem necessary if we go with a dual-drain on the floor.

was going with the 520 clean/clear filter (160332) and the IC40/EasyTouch combination (520543). I don't need the ability to control 2 bodies of water with the standalone hot tub but didn't see a PL4/IC40 combination? If I wanted to add ScreenLogic, would that be the 522104? And if we needed to have easier access for guests, etc.. who might not have the ScreenLogic app, I suppose the QuickTouch II (521209) would be the easiest route to go?

appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions from the TFP crowd.. many thanks

There is little difference between the VS and XF pumps. If you are plumbing with pipe 2.5" or larger, then go with the XF, if not, the VS is fine.

You are correct, the SVRS model is not needed in your situation.

What are you trying to automate? It may not be needed since you have a rather simple pool planned.

Intelliflo 011018 is a solid pump. Filter is oversized but will be better in the long run. You can probably use the Easytouch to automate the use of the scuppers, cleaner (if not using a robot), lights, and to make the programming of VS pump and IC40 a lot easier.

I can't offer anything besides experience of use of the above items. Going on the third season, I've been happy so far.

yeah, it's a pretty straightforward install. about the only thing we'd automate that isn't listed here is some landscape lighting around the pool along the retaining walls. Depending on the budget, we might attempt a DIY swimjet solution that another TFP'er had luck with but that would add 3 more 1HP pumps that we'd want to control separately from the main pump so that might cause an upgrade at the controller level.

so we're not going the O/B route, but the PB is allowing us to purchase our own equipment and they'll install it. having said that, still sticking with the IF VS 3HP pump (011018 ), CC520 filter (160332) and either the MX8 suction side cleaner or go with a robot.

we're having a separate hot tub put in (2 bodies of water) and added a couple of items that need/want automation:

pentair 5G LED pool light
landscape lighting (we may tie in with our LED pool lighting) or put it on a separate circuit and control independently.
a pair of bubblers in the tanning ledge
a flood light above the equipment pad to make night-time tinkering easier

We're going with salt so we looking at either the EasyTouch4+IC40 (520543) or the EasyTouch8+IC40 (520545) but those are for 2 bodies of water. It doesn't look like I lose any functionality by dropping down to the ET4+IC40 (520705) or ET8+IC40 (520593). The dual bodies options had around $140 difference between the 4 or 8 touch but I'm seeing that the 4-touch, single body is around $400 cheaper than its 8-touch equivalent? Am I looking at the correct 4-touch, single body of water w/ IC40 integrated (520705)?

For the 520705 I see: 4PSC Single Body of Water System Includes - 4 relays, 3 valve outputs, no actuators, 8 position breaker panel, local remote from power supply, chlorine generator, no indoor control (indoor control must be purchased separately) and 2 temp sensors.
For the 520593:
8PSC Single Body of Water System Includes - 8 relays, 3 valve outputs, no actuators, 8 position breaker panel, local remote from power supply, chlorine generator, no indoor control (indoor control must be purchased separately) and 2 temp sensors.

We might add a Hayward heat pump down the road in order to extend the pool season but that's not in the budget at the moment. Could that be integrated into the Pentair automation? Would that necessitate an 8-touch given the above requirements?

Hi darin,
I cant answer the question about adding a heater down the road.

But as far as how many circuits you might want in the easty touch. Down the road you might want to add landscape lighting, deck lighting, are such things. They can all be controlled by the easy touch too.

so, food for thought.

I can't help with which easy touch to buy, since I don't have a spa, and don't understand the differences in creating "macros" with two different bodies of water. However, you said it was a detached spa, so does that mean it's a packaged unit, or are you going to use any of the pool equipment to service it? Will you only have one pump? Your part numbers for the easytouch seem to be a bit all over the place. 520705 is actually an 8 relay system. If you go to http://www.pentairpool.com/products/automation-easytouch-control-systems-49.htm and click on specs on the right side, you can see all the part numbers and what they include for the easytouch Again, I have no idea what the functionality difference between the single body and pool/spa are, although there are different part numbers for the motherboards, so I suppose there is some difference.

Try to figure out what you are going to actually use and go from there. I thought I would use some of the relays for lighting, although now there are so many automated controllers on the market that offer better apps that I decided to use those and photo sensors for most of the landscape lighting.

You are correct with the screen logic part 522104. That was very confusing to me because you can buy the parts separately and it's almost the same price as buying the wireless adapter and the screen interface together!

You should be able to get the same warranty if you get the equipment professionally installed, although you might need to buy it all at the same time (read the fine print).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.