Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another O/B starting, looking for equipment advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Another O/B starting, looking for equipment advice

don't mean to hijack the OP, but in a similar situation in which we're considering going the O/B route and wanted an accurate list of my equipment options. 92 perimeter play pool (3.5' - 5'), no attached spa and no planned water features (though that may change if we add 2-3 scuppers on the back edge of the pool). We're going with SWG and was going to stick with Pentair I think.

IntelliFlo 3HP VSP (011018) or IntelliFloXF 3HP VSP (022055). the XF is about $100 more but wasn't sure if the cost savings when running might make it worth it. PB wanted to include the IntelliFlo 3HP VSP w/ SVRS (011017) but that doesn't seem necessary if we go with a dual-drain on the floor.

was going with the 520 clean/clear filter (160332) and the IC40/EasyTouch combination (520543). I don't need the ability to control 2 bodies of water with the standalone hot tub but didn't see a PL4/IC40 combination? If I wanted to add ScreenLogic, would that be the 522104? And if we needed to have easier access for guests, etc.. who might not have the ScreenLogic app, I suppose the QuickTouch II (521209) would be the easiest route to go?

appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions from the TFP crowd.. many thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Another O/B starting, looking for equipment advice

There is little difference between the VS and XF pumps. If you are plumbing with pipe 2.5" or larger, then go with the XF, if not, the VS is fine.

You are correct, the SVRS model is not needed in your situation.

What are you trying to automate? It may not be needed since you have a rather simple pool planned.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

Intelliflo 011018 is a solid pump. Filter is oversized but will be better in the long run. You can probably use the Easytouch to automate the use of the scuppers, cleaner (if not using a robot), lights, and to make the programming of VS pump and IC40 a lot easier.

I can't offer anything besides experience of use of the above items. Going on the third season, I've been happy so far.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

yeah, it's a pretty straightforward install. about the only thing we'd automate that isn't listed here is some landscape lighting around the pool along the retaining walls. Depending on the budget, we might attempt a DIY swimjet solution that another TFP'er had luck with but that would add 3 more 1HP pumps that we'd want to control separately from the main pump so that might cause an upgrade at the controller level.

5. Back To Top    #5

so we're not going the O/B route, but the PB is allowing us to purchase our own equipment and they'll install it. having said that, still sticking with the IF VS 3HP pump (011018 ), CC520 filter (160332) and either the MX8 suction side cleaner or go with a robot.

we're having a separate hot tub put in (2 bodies of water) and added a couple of items that need/want automation:

pentair 5G LED pool light
    landscape lighting (we may tie in with our LED pool lighting) or put it on a separate circuit and control independently.
    a pair of bubblers in the tanning ledge
    a flood light above the equipment pad to make night-time tinkering easier

We're going with salt so we looking at either the EasyTouch4+IC40 (520543) or the EasyTouch8+IC40 (520545) but those are for 2 bodies of water. It doesn't look like I lose any functionality by dropping down to the ET4+IC40 (520705) or ET8+IC40 (520593). The dual bodies options had around $140 difference between the 4 or 8 touch but I'm seeing that the 4-touch, single body is around $400 cheaper than its 8-touch equivalent? Am I looking at the correct 4-touch, single body of water w/ IC40 integrated (520705)?

For the 520705 I see: 4PSC Single Body of Water System Includes - 4 relays, 3 valve outputs, no actuators, 8 position breaker panel, local remote from power supply, chlorine generator, no indoor control (indoor control must be purchased separately) and 2 temp sensors.
    For the 520593:
    8PSC Single Body of Water System Includes - 8 relays, 3 valve outputs, no actuators, 8 position breaker panel, local remote from power supply, chlorine generator, no indoor control (indoor control must be purchased separately) and 2 temp sensors.

We might add a Hayward heat pump down the road in order to extend the pool season but that's not in the budget at the moment. Could that be integrated into the Pentair automation? Would that necessitate an 8-touch given the above requirements?

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi darin,
    I cant answer the question about adding a heater down the road.

But as far as how many circuits you might want in the easty touch. Down the road you might want to add landscape lighting, deck lighting, are such things. They can all be controlled by the easy touch too.

so, food for thought.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Will you get the same warranty if YOU buy them instead of the PB? Just want to make sure.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I went with the 8SC-IC40 (dual bodies) even though I only have a pool. Reason being the kit came with 2 actuators and was only $70 more. I'm glad I went with the 8 circuit over the 4. You'll use them up quick with different lighting.
    20K gal 32'x24' 4 bubble free form gunite pool w/ Midnight Blue Quartzscapes
    8' deep/3 1/2' shallow w/ 2 benches, sun shelf, 4' sheer descent, 4 deck jets
    All Pentair Equipment- Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear Plus 420 filter, Easytouch 8 w/Screen Logic Controller, IC40 Intellichlor SWG, Intellichem w/acid container, Intellibrite 5G Color LED pool & spa light, 2 Globrites

9. Back To Top    #9

I can't help with which easy touch to buy, since I don't have a spa, and don't understand the differences in creating "macros" with two different bodies of water. However, you said it was a detached spa, so does that mean it's a packaged unit, or are you going to use any of the pool equipment to service it? Will you only have one pump? Your part numbers for the easytouch seem to be a bit all over the place. 520705 is actually an 8 relay system. If you go to http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...systems-49.htm and click on specs on the right side, you can see all the part numbers and what they include for the easytouch Again, I have no idea what the functionality difference between the single body and pool/spa are, although there are different part numbers for the motherboards, so I suppose there is some difference.

Try to figure out what you are going to actually use and go from there. I thought I would use some of the relays for lighting, although now there are so many automated controllers on the market that offer better apps that I decided to use those and photo sensors for most of the landscape lighting.

You are correct with the screen logic part 522104. That was very confusing to me because you can buy the parts separately and it's almost the same price as buying the wireless adapter and the screen interface together!

You should be able to get the same warranty if you get the equipment professionally installed, although you might need to buy it all at the same time (read the fine print).

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Will you get the same warranty if YOU buy them instead of the PB? Just want to make sure.

Kim
    yes, I checked with Pentair and I'll get the same 3-year warranty as the PB would have given me. The only thing the PB drops is any servicing of the equipment during those 3 years.