Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: RE: getting by with only 3% FC/CYA ratio?

1. Back To Top    #1

RE: getting by with only 3% FC/CYA ratio?

has anyone heard of this ratio being adequate in prevent algae growth but only after removing phosphates from the water?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: getting by with only 3% FC/CYA ratio?

Lower FC/CYA ratios can be used if you are willing to be diligent on continually adding expensive supplements to the water like Polyquat and in some cases even phosphate removers. But, this is really outside the realm of what we teach - "Trouble Free Pool Care". It's really not troublefree when you start worrying about your additives and if you have a sufficient quantity in the water. Do a search here in the deep end and you will find several threads about similar methods.

But again, it's not what we teach. We haven't studied it.

But, it is the purview of many pool stores, including a couple of large chains. They will be happy to sell you the products and advise you how they thing you should maintain your pool. But I will caution you shold you choose to go down that path - trying to mix pool store advice and TFPC advice won't work!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, we've heard of it. It's an outlier in terms of regular simple pool care, and it's really not something we promote for that reason.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Using old "best guess" charts by Ben Powell, as CYA got ridiculously high, recommended chlorine got closer to 4%, but AFAIK, never below that. I've never heard the phosphates/chlorine thing before and every time I hear "phosphates" I get that itchy old feeling about pool store wisdom.

The current recommended minimum of 7.5% was, I believe, worked out between Ben and Chem Geek and contains a lot of experience, wisdom, and chemistry. Going below that might be more of a headache than it is worth, if the pool goes unexpectedly green.....

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If I were to do that, I would probably lower the phosphate level while also maintaining a 50 ppm borate level. That should create an environment that is relatively uncooperative to algae growth.

I personally wouldn't do that though. You probably wouldn't notice any improvement in water quality aside from the effects the borates would have on it. The active chlorine level of the FC/CYA chart is really so low that it is rare to have someone consider a lower level to be an improvement. I would think that the lower FC level could cause a higher CC level that would make the pool less enjoyable, but I haven't personally tried it so I could be wrong.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

+1 on the Borates.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Remember, please, what this forum is all about.....simplicity of pool care. Over and Over we prove that pools can be managed in a crystal clear status with FC and the correct amount of CYA. That's a flat fact and when you become interested in varying that, you invariably bring up complications that are not of interest to the main body of this forum.

That's why this Deep End forum was created.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

"getting by" is the key clue in your thread title. You might get by, get away or get lucky with maintenance that way, but why not forgo the phosphate reduction expense and just use a higher, still safe and effective, FC level?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks for everyone's help.
    i think i'll keep FC at least 7.5% of CYA despite my phosphate level being zero (as of today using taylor K-1106 kit).