Effect of snow in hot tub water

Jul 14, 2013
We just got about 3 feet of snow and my hot tub is in serious need of a top off. Filling with a garden hose isn't an option for at least a week.. Likely more. Visually estimating it needs about 50 gallons. It's a 500 gallon tub.

During the blizzard I got bored and did a ph test on the snow and it was around 7.2. I have TA and PH increaser chemicals on hand.

Assuming I have a huge mountain on clean snow right next the the tub (which I do) is this a good or bad idea.

Decided it was stupid and just bought a house that attaches to my kitchen sink. A little pricy but worth it.

Just wanted to know if anyone has done this

Im guessing it would greatly reduce my CH and TA as well as ph, use up all my sanitizer... Just not with the time to rebalance

I would have tossed some snow in there, especially if you just skimmed off the top and not pulled any dirt with it. Snow was likely low in TA, low in CH. Better than refilling from my hose, which tends to be TA of 150+. Go through a bit of acid every time I drain and refill from our hose.

Where I live at we have VERY high iron in the water and "topping off" the pool each Spring with water gets pricey as we must truck it in. One thing I always try to do is to dump any water from the cover into the pool before removing from the top of the pool. Other than getting slightly dirty from any leaves and such it has almost no effect on the chemistry of the water. I see little issue personally with adding the snow myself, but it would require shoveling.........which I'm already tired of from this winter. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.