Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HDX/PoolMaster Kits to Test PH - Not a good idea

1. Back To Top    #1

HDX/PoolMaster Kits to Test PH - Not a good idea

Probably already been covered before but HDX (Home Depot) and Poolmaster’s Basic 5 Way test kit PH comparator / color blocks are way off (HDX and Poolmaster being the same test kit).

Discovered this when I got around to playing with my PH test meters. After calibrating both meters, I pegged my pool water’s PH at 7.5 (7.54 & .7.56 on the meters). Here’s a pic of the test water showing on the Taylor K-1000 color/comparator block - a remarkably close/accurate color match.

I then tested the same water using the HDX and the PoolMaster test kits, shown here:

Here is the results of that test:

As can be seen in the picture, these two comparator blocks have that 7.5 meter verified PH water up around the 7.8 color band.

I then added some “PH Down” to the water in very small increments and, after a couple of testing go rounds, got the test water to coincide with the HDX/Poolmaster comparator block’s 7.6 color (being more of an orange than red color). I re-calibrated my PH meters and tested that water. It came in at a surprisingly low value of 7.11 / 7.18.

For the better part of eight years, I used that HDX kit (heck, HD is my home-away-from-home on weekends - what don’t I buy there?). So for that time frame, I unknowingly was maintaining my PH numbers in a much lower PH level than what is optimal. I switched to TF-100 last summer following my replaster.

Less a reaffirmation of the wisdom of TF-100's choice of Taylor's PH test kits and more of a head’s up to those who may still be relying on the HDX/Poolmaster kit for their PH testing.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HDX/PoolMaster Kits to Test PH - Not a good idea

You had me going there at the beginning of the post. I was already composing a "you need a recommended testkit" reply in my head. Your post is an affirmation about home testing with a Taylor reagent kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

Interesting they both show it as being high when the Taylor tests does not................I wonder why?????

Great job "testing" your testing!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What was your FC when you took these samples?

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Of course I have a dog in the fight, but the Taylor K-2006 and the TFTestkits TF-100 (same reagents) continue to prove themselves over and over.

Trying to "beat" them is likely a waste of your time and could cost you some cash if you believe pool store and off-brand testing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

For one, the HD where I live has this stuff outside. Not in the sun, but it is outside with the heat and humidity of summertime. So no way would I trust them to give you a correct reading. HD is a good place to get MA or 3 inch tabs(you can get just one at a time)but for pool testing materials. Nope!
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jojoman View Post
    For one, the HD where I live has this stuff outside. Not in the sun, but it is outside with the heat and humidity of summertime. So no way would I trust them to give you a correct reading. HD is a good place to get MA or 3 inch tabs(you can get just one at a time)but for pool testing materials. Nope!
    And who knows how old they are to boot.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    What was your FC when you took these samples?
    With winter water temps, I let my FC drift down to between 3 and 4 ppm.

[High FC readings (~10) can darken the PH reagent solution - however if my water had been at a high FC level when testing occurred, that would have caused a noticeably darkened test color with the Taylor K-1000 test sample as well].
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.