Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt from liquid Chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

NW MO

Salt from liquid Chlorine?

I am sure this question has been answered somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

How much salt does using bleach add to the pool? baking soda?

In the next couple weeks we will be adding salt to use the new SWG. We have been using BBB for several years now and will be using a lot of bleach over the next little bit to clear the black/green pool. According to the information I have read on SWG, the salt stays in the pool and only dilutes with rain and refills or is backwashed out. So there should be some sodium level in my pool from using bleach consistently and having used some baking soda in the past.

Is my thinking even remotely accurate? Should I test the salt level before calculating how much salt to add? How often do I need to test the salt level?
    24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt from liquid Chlorine?

You are correct and should test the salt level before adding any additional salt.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Salt from liquid Chlorine?

Salt should be tested twice a season, opening in the spring and mid-summer, and also any time there has been significant water replacement.

You can get a sense of how much salt different forms of chlorine add to the water using the Effects of adding chemicals section of my Pool Calculator, it is towards the bottom.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School