Health Concerns and Chlorine DPD Powder

May 9, 2015
Northeast, OK
I realize lots of things can cause cancer and you can't always have it both ways. Call me crazy or paranoid, but does anyone else have an underlying worry of carcinogens you get exposed to from frequent testing? I guess I will start wearing a little painters mask as it suddenly dawned on me that the powder trail that comes off the chlorine DPD powder cannot be healthy. Almost one year as a pool owner in March, I have learned immensely from this great site but at first last summer, I was testing like an addict, sometimes up to 3 or 4 times a week or more for a bit there and with the Taylor Kit. The moment you open the thing the chemical odor is pretty disconcerting. And yet for some reason the only chemical that worries me is the one I happen to have to use the most!

We will not be closing our pool during Oklahoma winters because the previous owners never did and we like the view. I have been enjoying taking a break from chemical testing due to the cold and have been relying on strips to add bleach here and there a few times a month. I did drag the kit out recently just to be sure.

Anyone else with this concern?

I have though about but I figure if pool service people can use this stuff several times a day for years on end with out a problem my testing is not going to kill me (I hope). Stay up wind if testing outside and be mindful and I think we should be fine. I live in California if this stuff was unduly dangerous that state would not allow it, they are fairly agro about chemicals and the environment. It certainly can't be any worse than walking into a Harbor freight store, those workers are the ones that need an environmental review I feel sorry for them but I do love that place.

Hi there.
Just so you know, the dpd powder does not contain any known carcinogens according to its Msds: http://spearcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/R-0870-DPD-POWDER-REAGENT-Taylor-Reagents-SDS-Spear-Corporation.pdf

In terms of human health the way I look at it is whatever minuscule risk there might be to testing, which can be eliminated by careful handling, it is far more dangerous in terms of human health to have untested or improperly sanitized water. So its a trade off.

Waterborne pathogens are a serious matter - parvovirus, legionella, etc. Accurate testing and dosing protects not only your health, but the health of your family and friends.

If you're chemically sensitive, have someone else test or take whatever precautions you see fit, but don't avoid testing ;) A second outcome is that infrequent testing and subsequent water recovery usually requires MORE exposure to chemicals ;)

You may already have replaced household cleaners if you're trying to reduce exposure to chemicals, but if not, know that there are more harmful substances in the average cleaning product than things you'll find in a test kit in terms of exposure ;)

I appreciate your care and concern around the use of chemicals, but wanted to give you some ways of looking at it that you might find helpful. In context of the larger environment, care and caution are appropriate, but I don't think you actually need to worry too much about the cumulative effects of testing.

I too appreciate your care and concern around the use of chemicals. It is an area that folks don't think about or through complacency get careless.

I'm personally not overly concerned with the DPD powder, but the wearing of personal protective devices when handling chemicals is always a good idea.

Thanks, atttech! Yes, I've noticed that with Cali items. Okay, your response makes me feel so much better :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well I appreciate that, Tim!! Thank you! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Swampwoman, I do appreciate it. Huh, just checked out the Taylor link. I like the comparisons you made. Makes sense. I honestly feel a little less paranoid, lol. Thank you, kindly!!

This little addition to your test kit might be helpful, at least you won't be fiddling around with open vials and spoons and can dump the powder in, very close to the liquid. SEE HERE. It might even be cheaper directly from Taylor, rather than the Internet supply houses that came up on a search, since they seem to be selling at retail plus.

This little addition to your test kit might be helpful, at least you won't be fiddling around with open vials and spoons and can dump the powder in, very close to the liquid. SEE HERE. It might even be cheaper directly from Taylor, rather than the Internet supply houses that came up on a search, since they seem to be selling at retail plus.

Although it's my strong opinion there are just about zero risks with any reasonable care in handling reagents, that's kinda neat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.