Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting the hang of it

1. Back To Top    #1

Post Getting the hang of it

Hi folks,

Just wanted to thank everyone again for your invaluable help here.
    In my short time here I now feel like I'm actually in charge of my pool for the first time - due wholly to the vast wealth of knowledge in here that is freely shared.

Here's my latest pulse:
    • FC: 3.5
    • CC: 0
    • pH: 7.6
    • TA: 50
    • CYA: 72
    • CH: 70
    • Salt: 4220

Finally got CYA up to where I want it now - took a few weeks, but I went slowly as advised. Hoping to be able to keep it here now.
    FC is down a fraction, but the low light on the SWG has been on for a few days and I fixed that last night with a bag of salt so should be able to top up FC a bit - I'm aiming for between 5 and 6.

pH was at 8 yesterday, but a short dose of acid has brought it down to 7.6 which I am happy with

Haven't been to the pool shop for anything recently except to look at a new cleaner.
    Managed to find Washing Soda in the supermarket ($AU 4 / kg) and Acid at the hardware store ($AU 15 / 5 litres).

Any other tips for me?
    39,000 litre (10,000 US gallons) IG vinyl salt water, Waterco S600 Sand filter, Zodiac Tri Chlorinator, Hurlcon E Series 230 pump, Taylors K-2006C Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Getting the hang of it

Your all over it Sal!

How is your pH tracking?

Just watch that your FC doesn't get too low. With CYA of 70, I wouldn't let it go any lower than 5 FC. Hot weather in particular could see you come unstuck.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey Jezza,

Thanks, its starting to make sense now !

pH has been pretty good recently. 7.2 on New Years day and gradually rose over the last 3 weeks to a high of 8 yesterday which I brought back down to 7.6 last night with a splash of Acid.
    TA has been really constant at between 50 and 60 ever since I started checking it.
    Now that I have CYA up at 70, I know my target range for FC is 5 - 6, maybe even up closer to 7.
    With all my vacuuming to waste FC has been up and down a bit, but all that is done now so FC is my primary concentration now - just need to get the FC/pH/CYA balance right and I reckon the rest seems to be pretty stable.

How's the weather in your neck of the woods? Pretty overcast and yuk here this weekend !
    39,000 litre (10,000 US gallons) IG vinyl salt water, Waterco S600 Sand filter, Zodiac Tri Chlorinator, Hurlcon E Series 230 pump, Taylors K-2006C Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

That's great Sal -sounds like you've got pH under control!

We've just had a mild week of cooler weather -now heating up again!
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey, Sal! Hope you got that FC level up. No algae blooms allowed!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't worry Marian, I couldn't stand the shame of an algae bloom now - lol !!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

FC up to 6 now Marian

8. Back To Top    #8

Man over the course of time, you are going to be amazed how easy it is to maintain a beautiful pool using TFP method.
    and cheap too! Nice job you're doing!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Salsiccia View Post
    Hi folks

Any other tips for me?
    Don't have a nap when the hose is in the pool.

Bought one of these today.

Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, CCL reagents, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

10. Back To Top    #10

That is really cool. Could be very handy for out of town use especially. What is the name of that product?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

A great idea but a dud name if you ask me. A topperupper. I saw it in the shop when I was organising all my solar heating. But when I googled 'swimming pool top up float valve' I got nothing, plenty of other float valves but not that one. Not in eBay and when I did find their web site I had to open an account just to get a shipping cost. A good product or idea, they've sent a lot on r&d but I think they could do much better.

Wouldn't be to hard to make one, I couldn't find a side entry float valve in the US but we have them hear for arround $30. 4 2" elbows, 2 2" forcet tees for the weighted section, a float valve and a hose connector. We use snap connectors on our hoses which makes the connection easy, the US has never really embraced the snap connections on garden hoses.
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, CCL reagents, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

12. Back To Top    #12

Naw, we got 'em.

13. Back To Top    #13

Must vary by state, I've been in Home depo, lowes, target and a few others in LA lots over the years and never seen them.
    Steve.

14. Back To Top    #14

Real stores carry them... Hahaha!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by AUSpool View Post
    Don't have a nap when the hose is in the pool
    LOL - That sounds the voice of experience !!
    I like the idea of that device too - nice and simple.
    Fortunately I've not fallen for that trick yet, but its only a matter of time I'm sure !

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Salsiccia View Post
    FC up to 6 now Marian
    FC still at 6 Marian

BTW - Happy Australia Day to all us Aussies:

17. Back To Top    #17

Happy, happy! We have the Open (tennis) on now!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Happy, happy! We have the Open (tennis) on now!
    That's the city that Wheelie and I are in Marian - enjoy our sunny holiday today

19. Back To Top    #19

Serena wins. Good tennis to follow! Enjoy your day!!!

20. Back To Top    #20

That's ironic - Tennis is being played 25kms down the road from me and I'm getting real time updates from the other side of the planet !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast