New build almost complete

Jul 26, 2015
Alabama
Since I have enjoyed looking at everyone's pictures over the last few months while we renovated our backyard, I thought I would share some pics. I will provide a few pics of the process, as I am sure many of you can empathize with the pain of construction while you are living at the house. I will also say that, as a first-time pool owner, this site has been invaluable as a learning tool.

I could not find a highly recommended pool company in my area, so we hired a concrete guy with 15 years of prior pool experience to oversee the project. He has stuck with us through this 7-month ordeal (the pool was only about a 4-week process if we had done only built a pool, but the entire build included a covered back porch and small pool house), but I am glad to see him and all the other subs out of my backyard.

Here we go:

We decided to renovate our backyard because, while we enjoy our home, the rear of the house is west facing and Alabama summers make it unbearable to enjoy the yard. If the heat doesn't kick your butt then the mosquitos will eventually cause you to go crazy.

Here is the before pic just after demo of the old porch awning.

Pool walls going in

Framing going up

Roof decking almost done

Fast-forward several months to a bricked porch

We are really close. Cold weather has kept me from staining the concrete and I still have to build a cover for the ventilation duct. Recent surgery has kept me from placing the Green Egg next to the gas grill.

Aluminum framed screens turned out great and we really enjoy looking out over the pool despite the snow on the ground.

I cannot get the gas logs to start, but maybe soon

Really like the liner color. We were worried about it since we picked the color from a few pics on the internet.

I am sure several of you have installed pools in the fall and then had to wait months to jump in for the first time. I am ready for Spring.

Thanks to all of you that have posted your experiences and graciously answered others' questions. I have learned quite a bit.

Well done! I love a first post with awesome pictures!

I hope you can get the gas logs going soon. They need to be working now with that snow on the ground!

What are you testing the water with? Look in my siggy for the test kit we use and love!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.