New Build - Tampa, FL

H2Ohh

Bronze Supporter
Jan 23, 2016
Tampa, FL
Hi all,

First post, but I've been lurking for a while. Awesome community.

I am currently under contract with a PB and it's pending financing (almost complete with an equity loan). The specs are 28x18 freeform with a 12' raised sunning circle where one might normally put a spa, with a sunshelf, and 3-6' depth. Equipment specs include:

• IntelliPro variable speed circulation pump by Sta Rite Industries
  • 60 sq. ft. System 3 DE filter by Sta Rite Industries
  • IntelliChlor chlorine generator (salt) by Pentair
  • Navigator robotic pool cleaner by Hayward Industries
  • Dedicated pool sweep line
  • Lube-free diverter valves by Pentair
  • Two surface skimmers (Eco Skim)
  • Two main drains
  • Four venturi surface returns
  • Two fan jets
  • Pentair Intelibrite LED
  • Color Cascade Bubble in sunshelf

915'ish sq ft of pavers in a cream/beige colors with bullnose and soldier coping around the pool and entire deck in beige. I have a triangle shaped back yard (the lot is pie shaped/corner), so it's an interesting design. I'll try to scan the plans and upload later.

Hoping to get the project started in early Feb.

We're currently set to use Marquis Bluestone with Black as our interior finish, but "she who must be obeyed" is telling me she wants something darker. Now she's interested in Marquis Sapphire (an upgrade) . We've not seen it in person, so I'm skeptical, but we have seen Stonescapes Tropics Blue and we now love it. Curious if anyone has an opinion to share with these. I know it's generally personal preference, but I'm wondering if the Stonescapes might be easier on the skin or have a longer "realistic" life than the marquis. Or perhaps we'd just be paying a bit more for a color we like and still have to replace it in 7-10 years.

Also, any opinion on our equipment? I had a pool as a kid, but I have no idea about modern equipment and what to look out for.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I was able to do a sloppy scan. Also included a couple of renderings that give the idea of what we're shooting for. The landscaping and furniture aren't exact by any means, but you get the gist. Any opinion/comments on interior finish (or anything else for that matter) is most welcomed!

Note that there are 6 people, but only one steak on the grill... I'd like to say it's mine, but I'm sure my wife already called dibs :D

HI! I am glad to see another Florida person here!

What an awesome use of your yard! I love the shape and features. Make sure to get model numbers for your equipment to be on the safe side.

We would love to see what the area looks like now!

Kim

I can't wait to see this one -- we originally planned to have a raised circle like you have planned, but abandoned the idea when we pivoted the pool. I think its a nice design element. LOL about the one steak on the grill!

Note that there are 6 people, but only one steak on the grill... I'd like to say it's mine, but I'm sure my wife already called dibs :D

I'd have serious reservations about using a PB who could have such an oversight. Where are his priorities.

Although if the circular area was his idea, then I'd be ok with him.

Good luck, looks like a great plan!

Thanks for the comments. We're excited to take our bland backyard and make it usable. I'll take and post photos later tonight.

Been discussing with our PB about upgrading from the Premix Marquis brand quartz to Stonescapes Tropics Blue. I have an initial quote of a $2600 upgrade. Seems excessive. I'm not even sure if that's the mini, but at that price, it better be and they better not hold out on the abalone shells. Thinking I should try to haggle them down. I think I'd be happy with the Marquis Miami Blue, but my wife really likes the Stonescapes. Guess I need to get past my "cheapness".

Ugh, I need to work 25 hours a day to keep her happy. I should stop kidding about this stuff. She's liable to read this eventually. Love you, sweety! :whip:

Here are pictures of our current backyard. Originally, my two read neighbors had their fences. I had to complete it, so you can see the change in fence design on both sides. I was going to wait and do the fence after the pool, but we really needed the fence to help us visualize the space. Now I just need to get 2 panels taken out for access. Both concrete pads will be removed. The larger one is currently ~8'x13'. It'll be 10'x15' screened, so basically it'll butt right up to the bay window.

Also, still need more input on interior finishes if ya'll are willing to give it. Is the quality that much better for $2600 more for Stonescape Tropics Blue (though I might shoot to get around $2100) or will the Marquis quartz last just as long?

- - - Updated - - -

Ohh, and Kim, I saw on another thread where you recommended that Off hanging lantern for mosquitoes. You still pleased with that? We're thinking about trying to plant some citronella, lavender, etc, to do it naturally, but I'm skeptical it'll do the trick with our crazy "state bird" during the summer.

We should buy stock in OFF just for the "state bird" lanterns! They work GREAT. It is almost like there is a invisible barrier they will not go through.

I cannot help with your finish.

I love that fence but man you dropped a buck on that! We are thinking about for the front of our property. Still have to measure and check the costs.

Kim

Yeah, just my section of shadowbox vinyl was nearly $6000 installed. Darn (your filter caught the first word I used; language noted) HOA requires shadowbox (you can see where one neighbor's fence isn't in compliance). Ohh well, it looks nice.

Currently doing logistics on capping irrigation, digging trench to install water faucet in rear of home, having fence panels removed, etc. I pick final details and start the process a week from today. Looking forward to finally getting this started.

In the interim, I've been doing TFP Pool School and trying to understand the TFPC and Pool Math calculator. It's so overwhelming. Hopefully it *clicks* and makes sense eventually. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It WILL click when you go to do it. Right now it is abstract with just reading. IF you want to go ahead and order your test kit you can. We will walk you through testing your fill water. There are even videos to watch it being done.

Kim

Just put down deposit. Permitting begins Monday. We choose the finish Marquis Antigua. Wife is excited. I told her to contain it for the next 12 weeks or she might be disappointed. Already have irrigation capped. Going to trip up some oak trees for access next weekend. Need to get fence panels removed. Takes about a month to get a permit from the county, so hoping the dig happens in 5-6 weeks. I'll probably be pretty dormant on this project until then. Gives me time to ogle over everyone elses projects!

So, I was out of town this week and got notice that permit was complete. I had fence panels removed and tree trimmed, so was good to go. My wife took the following pictures to share. Appear they just marked the form and are pumping water out of the area. Per a conversation she had with them, they may start digging tomorrow. We had a light drizzling rain tonight, but it didn't seem like much. Might push us out a day or so though.

Amethys, I don't know for sure. I believe there is going to be a small lip where the water comes out. Guessing it would probably smart a bit to step on, but it should be pretty visible in such shallow water.

Dig happened today. I think it went well. The guy on the trackhoe is like a surgeon with a scalpel. He was whipping that thing every which way without hitting fence, house, etc. I wasn't able to get an updated picture due to darkness, but the puddle has been pumped out of the bottom. They'll be back tomorrow morning to begin the rebar work. Exciting!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.