Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Generating, right?

1. Back To Top    #1

Generating, right?

I just want to get it straight in my mind. When I see tons of little bubbles coming out of the two side hole, that means the generator is creating chlorine, right?

Thanks
    Ed
    1) Pool built 2005, approx 17k gallons (Click HERE for a picture of this money pit!)
    2) Equipment: Pentair Intelli-Touch System i5, Pentair MiniMax NTLN Model 400DV Heater, Pentair CCP520 4 Cartridge filter, Aqua Rite 6D22 Chlorine Generator, Turbo-Cell T-Cell-15
    3) Pumps: Pool - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-8 (2 HP), Spa - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-6 (1.5 HP), Water Fall - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-3 (.75 HP), Vacuum: Hayward Navigator 925C

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Generating, right?

Hi Ed,
    IMO, that's more bubbles than would be expected due to a SWG.
    If you turn off the SWG, do the bubbles go away? If they do, then the bubbles are indication of SWG causing them.
    If they do not go away with SWG off, then you have an air leak somewhere on the return side.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

In to learn.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I just turned off the SWG and the bubbles diminished markedly, but didn't completely go away (probably half of what it was), so it appears I'm generating AND have an air leak! Great. Is this a big deal, and if so, where do I start looking??

Ed
    1) Pool built 2005, approx 17k gallons (Click HERE for a picture of this money pit!)
    2) Equipment: Pentair Intelli-Touch System i5, Pentair MiniMax NTLN Model 400DV Heater, Pentair CCP520 4 Cartridge filter, Aqua Rite 6D22 Chlorine Generator, Turbo-Cell T-Cell-15
    3) Pumps: Pool - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-8 (2 HP), Spa - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-6 (1.5 HP), Water Fall - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-3 (.75 HP), Vacuum: Hayward Navigator 925C

5. Back To Top    #5

Try turning the pump on and off a few times and watch the pump area for water squirting out when the pump is turned off.

6. Back To Top    #6

I didn't notice any water coming from the pump area, but it's hard to tell. I just cleaned the basket and there's water everywhere, and the control panel isn't right next to the pumps. It's a few feet away. I'll have my son check for leaks with me when he gets home from work later on today.

Stay tuned...

Ed

7. Back To Top    #7

Are the bubbles something new?
    Is there anything at all you have done to the return side plumbing recently?

One way to try and find above ground plumbing leak. While the pump is running, run a small stream of water with the water hose over the plumbing connections.
    Water will be sucked into a fitting that has a leak in it.

Shaving cream (the spray foam type) is also good for finding small leaks.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, we turned the pump off and on several times with no water leaks, so it's not coming from there. And the bubbles have been there for as long as I can remember, so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned. Everything seems to be working correctly, so I won't let it bother me.

Thanks guys
    Ed

9. Back To Top    #9

Wave a barbecue lighter over the bubbles. If they snap and pop they are hydrogen from your SWG.

But you could have a mix. That's a lot if bubbles.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Try cleaning and lubricating the lid oring.