New Build Forney, TX (Dallas)

Sep 3, 2014
Forney, TX
All,
I am in the process of taking bids and narrowing things down. Can you look at this and make recommendations to the first two? I have not decided on chlorine, chlorine with Ozone, or SWG. Not sure if 6ft spa is too small and need to go to 7ft. Should I get two LED lights? 5x10 tanning ledge big enough for two loungers? What depth? Anything else that stands out? Tear it apart all!

Builder 1
Swimming Pool
Pool Type: Shallow Freeform
Overall Size 32’X20’
Surface 487FT2
Shell Shotcrete
Steel ½” on Bond beam 12x12
Floor- 3/8” on 4” centers
Walls- 3/8” on 8” centers

Perimeter 90 FT
Depth 4’- 5.5’- 4.5’
Cap 17,000 gallons +/-
Water Features Spa Fountain and Spillways
Bubbler at tanning ledge
3x6 natural rock waterfall
5x10 Tanning ledge with 1 bubbler
Spa
Size 6’ interior
Area 28 FT2
Perimeter 19 FT
Cap 500 gallons +/-
Jets Waterway Jets

Materials
Coping Standard flagstone and boulders
Veneer Natural flagstone
Ceramic tile 6’’ at pool/ spa perimeter
Decking 558FT2 hand seeded aggregate
Drainage Line 4’’ underground line
Interior Stonescapes mini pebble

Equipment
Circulation Pump Pentair Intelliflow SVRS Variable Speed
Filter Type FNS 60 DE with backwash to drain
Filter valve 2’’ multiport
Heater Pentair 400K BTU
Blower 1.5 hp silencer
Sanitizer In-line Chlorinator
Cleaner Robotic Prowler 820
Control valves 2” x 2.5” never lube
Pool Light Intellibright LED Color
Spa Light Intellibright LED Color
Maintenance Tele Pole, brush, net and test kit

Electrical
Wiring All proposed equipment
Bonding/ grounding #8 bare copper wire
GFCI At equipment for pool lights
Controls mechanical time clocks and switches
Freeze Protection on all circulation pumps

Plumbing
Suction outlets 2 skimmers 2” dedicated line
Return Inlets 4
Spa Drains Dual 2.5” line
Spa Jets 6 at bench
Spa Fountain on floor 1.5” line
Backwash line 2” line to P-Trap
Fill line ¾” automatic
W/F Line 2” Return
Overflow Line 2” Gravity to lower end of yard
Gas Line gas line to heater

Options
Helical Piers if rock is not hit at excavation
Electronic Controller Screenlogic
Salt/ Ozone
Waterfall dedicated pump 1.5hp

Builder 2
Structure: Pool and spa. 94 perimeter. 30’x17’ 460 sq. ft. Dual main drains. Shotcrete construction. Overflow through beam. Upgrade steel. Tanning ledge with bubbler and steps per plan. LED light upgrade included. Spa 7’ foot oval. Negative edge overflow from spa to pool. Small boulder fall on backside.

Plumbing and Equipment: Pentair VS 3050 variable speed pump, dedicated booster pump for water feature. Pentair FNSP 60 or Pentair Clean and Clear 520, Raypak 336,000 BTU gas heater. Air Supply blower for spa. Jandy valves on manifolds. Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy IQ 904PS for wireless interface over smart phones.
All plumbing lines minimum 2”. Gas run not included.
Helical piers not included and highly recommended if rock is not hit on excavation. (expect around $5-6,000 on pool/spa of this size.)

Decking: Proposed 400 sq. ft. modular paving system per plan. $4,725 decking allowance. (This will allow for entry level to low/mid level with many nice choices.)
Plan does not include landscaping or path behind pool.

Tile: Standard cost from Noble or National Pool Tile.
Coping: Oklahoma flagstone.
Plaster: Premium pebble or 100% quartz (Quartzbrite).

Estimate to complete including plans and permits: xxxxxx
Includes all plans permits and insurance coverage.

HI! I can't wait to see what you end up with!

I would do some searching on here about ozone cleaning. There is very little up side to it.

A SWG pool is a chlorine pool as the salt turns into chlorine. It is the easy way to do thing! I wish I could have a SWG but I have an above ground pool and do not want to risk the walls rusting :(

Do you have a drawing of the ideas? That would be helpful for things like the lights and such.

Kim

I love the layout! The changes of placement should be nice as well.

I would have an "up"light by the waterfall to show it off at night time!

The only thing the salt might mess with is the rocks if they are soft rocks. BUT if you are really worried about it we can teach you how to do chlorine the easy way.

Kim

The SVRS pump is not needed, just go with the standard Intelliflo

A blower for the spa is also not needed barring the spa air line is plumbed correctly.

Go with a second standalone pump for the water feature, a booster pump is not the best idea for that application.

As Kim stated, no need for ozone. Use that savings for the ScreenLogic (if you go with Pentair automation).

I'd add 2 globrite style lights to the shallow/reef area of the pool.

Thanks Brian, I agree don't really need the SVRS IMO. No kids will be swimming to get stuck to the drain. :D. I think that's what that feature is for. Just not sure how much savings there is to go with the intelliflow vf without the SVRS. I do like the idea of the globrites (2) or maybe bubbler LEDs. Can you expand on the bad idea for a second pump for the waterfall? As I understand if I'm running the spa, and the water feature, the pump can't do it all. Additionally, I want to have exclusive control of the water feature independently regardless of anything else running. Weird, I had 3 separate builders push me away from SWG and to Ozone "60% less chlorine needed"

The SVRS is a retrofit solution to older pools that do not have a dual main drain (now required by code), that shuts the pump off when it senses a restriction that could be an entrapment. This arose from the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act which is where the dual main drain requirement stems.

I'd recommend the Intelliflo VS over the VF. The VF is a little more money due to it providing flow compensation based on restriction. A characteristic that is not important and unnecessary.

In regards to the 2nd pump, its a good idea. A booster pump is not a good idea because that takes the pressure and flow from your filter (main) pump and boosts it to send to your features. A 2nd standalone pump will run and can be controlled independently from everything else in the pool.

Do a search on ozone and you will see several threads that disprove its effectiveness. Ozone does have a place in the pool world, but running lower chlorine levels is not where it fits in. Whether ozone does or doesn't do what it is supposed to do is irrelevant since there really isn't a way to check its effectiveness and because of that, my feeling is its an unnecessary expense.

---Renderings Below---
Ok pool friends, here is my 3rd & final bid (I dumped 2 others right off), and frankly I like this builder the best as well as their design. Would you please look it over and perhaps answer some of my below questions? Please rip the bid apart and let me know your thoughts and any ideas opinions etc. Thank you for reading my post and commenting.

- I am going with DE. Is a 60 the right size, or go to 80 or 100? Is the Quad better than the FNS?
- Im not doing Ozone and an leery of SWG.
- I am doing Belgrade Cambridge Cobble
- I will have him shift the pool and deck to be more centered with my home.
- Should overflow be a hole (with grate) in the tile with a pipe to the deck drains? Or?
- Do I need a completely different pump for the water features? "Booster" I don't understand. He told me is is a different pump. Is that correct?
- I don't plan to use piers. They said 6" of pea gravel is a great idea. I can't find much on this... Anyone have any insight? does it need a sump-pump? "Houston Clay" is my lot composition.
- Lastly how can another bid with similar perimeter and length/ width dimensions have less Sqft? Is this because of the curves?

Thanks all

General Specifications
Pool Type: Play Pool / Spa
Pool Size: 18’ x 33’6”
Pool Area: 532 Sqft.
Pool Perimeter: 96 Ft.
Pool/Spa Perimeter: 110 Ft.
Pool Depth: 3’6” x 5’ x 4’
Pool Capacity: 18,260 Gallons
Spa Size: FreeFrom
Spa Area: 45 sqft
Spa Perimeter: 25’
Spa Height: 18” Elevated with Mossrock Spillway
Water Features: 4 Ton Mossrock Cascading Waterfall per plan w/ spillover into spa
2.5 Ton Mossrock Cascading Waterfall per plan
Mossrock Weeping Wall @ 10’ per plan
Other: Custom Tanning Ledge w/dual bubbler
Custom Benches per plan

Pre-Excavation
Plans and pool permits.
Lay out pool in yard, for owner approval.
Review equipment location, access, and stock pile location.
Fence in access area removed by HCP.
Fence in access area replaced by HCP.
**Buyer is responsible for bringing fence gates to pool code w/ self-closing & self-latching hardware as well as provide stain for replaced pickets in access area**
Trees/ shrubs removed. N/A.
Concrete/ asphalt removed. N/A.

Excavation
Access yard through approved access. OPEN LOT ACCESS – LARGE TRACK.
Set forms and elevations.
Excavate pool, and hand trim all walls for even surface.
Removal of dirt.

Steel
Install steel reinforcing in beam using #4 bars.
Install 3/8” rebar deck dowels as required.
Install steel base mesh 8 inch on center with #3 bars.

Plumbing
All pool piping is schedule 40 pvc.
Plumb (2) skimmers on independent 2” line with valve.
Plumb main drain on independent 2” line with valve.
Plumb returns to insure no dead spots in pool. (7-9)
2.5” Suction on spa plumbing
Pool run to equipment…. 40 ft.
Spa run to equipment…. 55 ft.
Pool run to equipment.
Plumb for pool cleaner.
Install all specified equipment.
Install backwash line/ P-trap if needed.
Install auto refill line, if accessible.
Install overflow.

Equipment
Pump: Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump
Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520 Cartridge Filter OR
Pentair Quad 60 D.E. Filter w/ backwash line
Operating System: Pentair Intellitouch Remote Control w/ iPhone Interface (screen logic 8 input)
Pool Light: Pentair IntelliBrite LED w/ color
Pool Cleaner: Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
Chlorine Generator: Pentair Intellichlor Salt System
Heater: Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater
Spa Light: Pentair IntelliBrite Spa LED
Spa Blower: Polaris Q/T
Cleaning Kit: Telescopic pole, Brush attachment, Leaf strainer, Test kit.
Water Feature Pump: Pentair Waterfall Booster Pump
2" x 2.5" Jandy Never Lube control valves

Electrical/ Gas
Install light niches per plan.
Wire all equipment and install g.f.c.i.
Wire control system and lights.
Provide electrical bonding of pool when required.
Provide all freeze protection on all pumps.
Gas line from meter to heater up to 45 ft.

Gunite
Pneumatically applied Gunite per code.
Gunite all beams 12” thick to natural grade.
All pool walls and floor to be 8” thick

Materials
Tile: Standard 6” Waterline Tile
Coping: Oklahoma Flagstone
Decking: 643 Sqft of NEW Stamped Concrete
**Includes capping existing patio to match
**Deck drainage as necessary
Plaster: Stonescapes “Mini-Pebble” Plaster Upgrade – color TBD

Included Options:

6” pea gravel bed under shell of pool installed
6’ x 12’ Side by Side Equipment Fence w/ steel posts per plan **Buyer to stain**
Up to (3) Umbrella sleeves installed – location TBD by Buyer
All necessary deck turndowns
Sprinkler System Repair and Reroute
Estimated Sod Replacement up to (2) palettes – Access Area
**Additional Palettes if needed or requested by Buyer will delivered and installed for $300 per palette**
Pool Equipment Startup
Salt System Startup
Pool School Instructional
All City Required Inspections
Construction Site Cleanup
**All Landscaping by BID only**
Additional Available Options
Upgtade Decking to Belgard Pavers – Standard design Cambridge Cobble or
Holland Style – all others by BID only $ x,xxx
View attachment 44828
View attachment 44829
Olkewicz_009.jpg

-skimmers-each should have their own valve so you can have max control of flow.

-main drain-I noticed it has own valve=good

-overflow-two ways but I think the pipe with grate is the best. The other way is using the skimmer some how (notice I am not sure how this works) Just make sure you plan ahead where the water is going to go.

-booster pump is normal for "features" as you do not want to run everything all of the time. Valves on everything also so you can have max control (notice I like control LOL)

-make sure to get model numbers of all equipment written in bid/contract

-test kit-have it written down that you get a Taylor k2006 instead of the k 2005 (there is a big difference with the FC test between the two)

That is all I have/know about.

It is very pretty! I like that it will be centered more with the house.

Share a picture of the real yard so we can see what we are working with!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Build Forney, TX (DFW) UPDATED

Well, its finally started. After days of rain in North TX, we finally found a window to start. Ill try to post as many pictures as possible, please let me know if you see something I should look into. Sad to see my grass go, but in the end it will be our little paradise. Please comment with feedback! Thank you, more to come...

Well today is 4/27/16 ND my builder completed the plumbing and steel. Everything I can see looks good with the exception of the equipment pad not perfectly square with the house. Since this will be blinded by fencing, it is not the end of the world. So now for the pictures.

Equipment Pad First- Please let me know if anything looks odd here or anything I should ask about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.