Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Measure and pour chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Measure and pour chlorine

Simple question...what do you all use to measure and pour your liquid chlorine? My chlorine comes in refillable 2.5 gallon jugs, so if I need to add 58 oz. (or whatever) what's the best and easiest way? Are there large measuring cups I don't know about?
    ~12,000gal. plaster, in-ground pool; Hayward cartridge filter; 1hp pump; Use Taylor 2006 kit w/ Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Measure and pour chlorine

There are big measuring cups out there, like this one (just an example). 4 Qt. Clear Plastic Measuring Cup

I would just cut down the top of a bleach bottle and use a kitchen measuring cup and water to figure out your 58oz, mark the side and just use that.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Measure and pour chlorine

You can buy 1-qt plastic paint cups at any hardware store. The one I got from Lowes have hash marks on the side for every 4oz of liquid. It's not terribly accurate but it's convenient to get you in the ballpark. The cups cost about $1 each. I have one for acid and one for bleach. They are also handy for measuring out dry chemicals which I use a simple digital kitchen scale for assessing weight.

This goes without saying but, always keep you chemical measuring equipment separate from other household items. It's just good chemical safety practice.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

I just use a plastic 2 cup measuring cup I got from the Dollar Store. One for chlorine and one of M. Acid. They stay with the chemical they are used for. Like Matt said they do NOT even come into the house to stay on the safe side.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I use measuring cups as well and I keep the cups with their respective chemical. Another guideline that works well for us in keeping cups used for chemicals vs. food separate in the event that a chemical cup is inadvertently not put where it belongs is that measuring cups for non-food use at our house are plastic or acrylic. Only glass measuring cups are used for food and these never leave the kitchen.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

I usually round to the nearest quart or so and I just eyeball it. Each quart of 8.25% is 1ppm of FC for my pool. During winter I add either 1 gallon or 2 gallons to get it back above 10ppm. If you are reusing the same 2-1/2 gal jugs get a sharpie and mark off 1 quart lines on the sides of the jugs next time you empty them.

With MA I usually add 1-2 quarts at time and I eyeball that as well. During summer swim season I usually add it a third of a gallon at a time, which drops my PH .3ish, so 7.8ish to 7.5ish is just right. I used to mark off thirds on my MA bottles but now I just eyeball it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Many hospitals give out quart sized mugs with their logo on them to patients. They usually have markings to the ounce and mL up the side of the cup for accurate measuring of a patient's intake. I have a few of those that I keep in the pool/spa equipment for use with those liquids.

Got any friends who work or are patients in the hospital???
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

My pool usually takes about 40oz of 12% every day or every other day depending on use. So i measured in a clear bucket 40oz and put a black mark. I measured 30 oz and put a red mark, and 50 oz and put another red mark. If i'm low on FC i fill to the top red mark, if i'm high on fc, i fill to the bottom red mark. I'm never precise. I see ppl on here measuring exactly 22.5oz and pouring in. This method is supposed to be fast...lol So i just round to the nearest line. HAHAHA Maybe i'll over shoot my FC by 1 or 2 ppm, but in the end it all balances out i think.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought a 2 quart Rubbermaid drink bottle for our pool, works out perfectly. 1 ppm of Cl = 20 oz of 12.5% liquid chlorine for my pool, so I have the jug marked off at 20 oz, 40, oz, and 2 quart (64 oz).
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I just eye ball it and pour from the gallon 12.5% jug. For our pool a one gallon jug will add 6ppm chlorine so if I need only 1.5ppm I eye ball a 1/4 gallon. When we close our pool in the fall I use a clear measuring cup to add the chlorine to the spa.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System