Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replaster recommendations in SoCal.

1. Back To Top    #1

Replaster recommendations in SoCal.

I am going to get my pool replastered and was looking for some recommendations for some companies in SoCal. I am in Riverside county near San Diego and have a 19,000 gallon pool built in 2002 which is about 945sq ft. I have been dealing with some stubborn black stains and the plaster itself looks fine, but is somewhat porous and not easy on the eye. I was thinking of getting it acid washed but that would be about $2,000 including the cost of refilling it so I figured a couple more thousand and I could get it replastered since I was thinking of converting to salt as well. Any ballpark estimates how much this would cost. Thanks for the feedback. I included some pics of the stains and overall condition of the pool.

My 05/2016 resurfaced pool: 16ft x 24 ft irregular w/spa, 20K gal., gunite Stonescape Aqua White mini pebble. Not a salt water pool.
    Equipment: 3hp Intelliflo VS pump, Hayward C4020 4 cartridge filter, Hayward H series heater, Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED lights,Dolphin Nautilus Plus robot, TF100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Replaster recommendations in SoCal.

What type of finish do you want to go with? Are you also changing the waterline tile? How old is the current plaster?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome

I see you've been a TFP user for a while but you don't have many posts. I also see a puck floater in the picture. Can you tell us a bit about how you've been treating your pool chemically?

A lot of the plaster looks like chemical damage has occurred. I certainly encourage you to get a new plaster finish BUT if the pool isn't being treated well chemically, you may end up in the exact same spot your are now.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Mainly chlorine and muriatic acid. I admit I have not been keeping up with it the last year or so. The pool is about 14 years old and I just replaced the pool pump with a VS Pentair 3 1/2 HP pump. The latest issue I had was the black marks that I believe are algae and have yet to make a dent in making it go away. I spread some crushed tablets on the black stains and left it for about 2 days and brushed with little to no results. I have decided to replaster and will also be replacing the tile. The coping will stay to reduce costs but I was hoping to spend less than $10,000 for this project to include the cost of the salt water conversion. Is this doable? Will plan on getting a pool guy once this is done so I won't be in the same situation again. Thanks for the replies so far.
    My 05/2016 resurfaced pool: 16ft x 24 ft irregular w/spa, 20K gal., gunite Stonescape Aqua White mini pebble. Not a salt water pool.
    Equipment: 3hp Intelliflo VS pump, Hayward C4020 4 cartridge filter, Hayward H series heater, Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED lights,Dolphin Nautilus Plus robot, TF100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

You do not need a pool guy since you have TFP. THIS is the best way to care for a pool. All you need is a good test kit and a few mins a day!

We can teach you how to care for your pool's new plaster so this does not happen again.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I imagine you will be pretty close to that price and easily more if you end up going with a higher end finish and tile.

PM sent...
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page