Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Convert inground vinyl liner pool to ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plant City, FL

Convert inground vinyl liner pool to ?

I bought a house that has an inground vinyl liner pool and the liner is going to need replacing in the next year or so. My question is has anyone converted a pool like this to a Shotcrete/Gunnite pool? Is it even possible?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Convert inground vinyl liner pool to ?

It would be almost the same as building an entirely new pool, and in some ways would be more difficult for the builder as they will have to pull out the walls of the liner pool. It could be done, but I wouldn't think it would save any money over the cost of a new gunite pool built from scratch.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Waxahachie, TX (south of Dallas)

There is a build thread on TFP right now that is tearing out a fiberglass pool to put in a gunite pool. But that may be a totally different process.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sacramento, CA

I'm going to disagree with Tim a bit.

If the pool is constructed of concrete block you could rip out and repour the floor and then using grout do some modification of the structure. Then plaster over that.

Difficult to get that permitted because you would have to structurally tie the walls to the floor. Possible but the cost would be huge and the discussions with the building inspector -- if there is one would be interesting to say the least.

If the pool has metal or composite walls you could construct the rebar cage inside the existing pool and then shoot the pool. Remove the top part of the old pool and backfill.

Not sure you save much if anything especially if you want to change any of the look.

All of this requires new deck and coping.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

That job will cost more than a new pool......Tim5055 is on the money
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School