Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me choose between the STA-RITE PLDE48 or S7MD60 DE Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Tulsa, OK

Help me choose between the STA-RITE PLDE48 or S7MD60 DE Filter

I need help deciding between these two filters. I originally had an old Sta-Rite HRB-30, 600# sand filter that did a pretty good job, but leaks in the laterals and other problems have made in unrealistic to repair. I also would like better water clarity.

I really like the ease of maintenance and durability of the S7MD60, but just ran across the PLDE48 and it was a little less expensive.

Has anyone else owned either of these models?

Thanks for the help,

21,000 gal. in-ground chlorine gunite pool, no spa, no water features. 1 - 1-1/2" Return line at equipment pad feeding 4 returns in pool. U-3 skimmer with equalizer port. 1 - 1-1/2" main suction line, 1 - 1/1/2" skimmer suction line at pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me choose between the STA-RITE PLDE48 or S7MD60 DE Filter

Just to be rally answer, if you want the clearest possible water, then DE is your choice. Sand will always be enough for me, but it's absolutely a personal choice. I'd never choose a cartridge setup, but lots of people love them, and that's perfectly fine as well.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

My cartridge filter takes an hour plus to clean and I have to clean it 2-3 times in spring and 2-3 times again in fall depending on how busy the trees are with pollen and stuff. I would probably get a sand filter if I had it to do over again. DE is off my list due to higher maintenance requirements.

My water is perfectly clear all the time, but I think that is more to do with water chemistry management than it is with filter type. Before TFPC I had some algae and water clarity issues. Now, my water stayed crystal clear even when I had some algae.

Here are a couple of articles from Pool School comparing filters and maintenance.
    Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

I agree, I like my sand filter and if I need a little extra filtering I can always add a little DE to it.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Livermore, CA

Hi Brian,

So did you make a decision between the two filters? I am also looking at the S7MD60 (or maybe the S7MD72) for a new build. While these filters seems to get great reviews from industry professionals, it doesn't seem to get much exposure on TFP. Most people on this forum seem to have strong opinions on DE filters based on experiences with older technology. I too once owned a DE filter a long time ago and would never own one of those older generation filters again. However, the Sta-Rite modular DE filters (as well as the very similar Pentair Quad DE filters) don't need to be backwashed, are cleaned similar to a cartridge and with similar frequency. The big pluses I see over cartridge filters are (1) the better filtering of DE, and (2) the cartridge is a much more durable material than paper cartridges used in cartridge filters. Some claim the modular mesh of the star-rite can last 10 years or more. It seems almost too good to be true! I wish I could hear more experiences from owners of these systems, good or bad, rather than speculation based on experience with much older DE filters.

10'x65' lap pool, raised spa, bluestone coping, St Martin Quartzscapes
    Pentair equipment (cartridge filter, Intelliflo XF pumps, salt cell, Easytouch 8), Raypak 406a Heater
    Deck jets, Colorcascade bubblers
    Coverstar automatic pool cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Sag Harbor, NY

I just installed a S7MD60. So far, so good.
    Pool: 40k gallon pool shaped as a trapazoid. 10ft / 3ft deep
    Filter: Starite S7MD60 / Pump: Pentair Inteliflo multi speed pump /Robo Cleaner: Kreepy Krauly 830
    Pool heater: Rheem PM m336a (Legacy) / Control: Pentair EasyTouch PL4 Control
    Light: Pentair IntelliBrite 5G White