O/B starting, looking for equipment advice

Jan 21, 2016
San Diego Ca
I'm digging this weekend - so its time to get serious on picking equipment. 17'x44' free from 3.5' - 8' deep. Large baja ledge. Raised spillover 8' spa.
possible sheer decent and/or bubblers.

Tips, advice do's don'ts welcome.

Here's what I'm thinking:
pentair vs 011018 3hp
sta rite sr400lp (not sure on this one - maybe the pentair mastertemp)
sta rite s7m120 mod media filter
1 intellibrite spa led light
1 intellibrite pool led
intellibrite controller
pentair intellichlor
pentair easytouch system
paralevel water level

I am a big fan of my Pentair equipment, it all works great. Especially the Intelliflo pump. I love running my pump at 1100 rpm for skimming and making chlorine and using only 150 watts. It is usually recommended to use all the same manufacturer when using automation so everything can communicate properly. I would use a Pentair heater, but if not double check to make sure the Starite will work with the Easytouch.

If you are getting the Easytouch, you should also get the ScreenLogic 2. It should be a packaged deal from Pentair, I don't know why they haven't done that yet. It allows for much easier programming and control of the pool from your cell phone and computers.

I'd suggest the MasterTemp400 or the Raypak 407 heaters and the Pentair Quad100 filter.

I'd also recommend the Easytouch/IC60 combo - 521150

Not sure about your plumbing or cleaner options but I always recommend people get a separate, dedicated vacuum line even if they don't plan to use a suction-side cleaner (like the Pentair Rebel). This is because it is a lot easier to manually vacuum using a dedicated port than to fiddle around with skimmer attachments. You will definitely be manually vacuuming from time to time so having the port is a benefit and it costs relatively little to install during your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Sorry you had to see another post about ScreenLogic Matt. Have I left anything to imagination on my feelings about it?

No worries, Brian. But I am thinking of getting you a Pentair fanboy tee-shirt with a matching ScreenLogic ball cap ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I too like Pentair equipment, but you really need to nail down exactly what options you want in your pool and how it will be plumbed, and then buy the equipment to match.

What size Intellichlor? My guess is the IC60

Which EasyTouch do you want/need? The ET-4 can control three external circuits, or do you need the ET-8 which can control 7 external circuits. You can buy the ET with or without the SWCG power supply, I suspect you'll want the one with the P/S built in as Brian recommended.

How many valves are you going to have and how many will be automated? You can also buy the ET with valves that are included in the package.

Instead of running everything off the one pump, with all the valves necessary to turn your Shears, bubblers, and spa on and off, it might make more sense to have the shears and bubblers on a separate pump.

Just throwing something out there for you to be thinking about. Good luck with your project.

Jim R.

No worries, Brian. But I am thinking of getting you a Pentair fanboy tee-shirt with a matching ScreenLogic ball cap ;)

Now you've piqued my interest! I assume that Matt isn't as big of a fan of the Screenlogic as Brian is? If not, why, may I ask? (Unless I'm opening up a can of worms better left closed! ;-) )

Now you've piqued my interest! I assume that Matt isn't as big of a fan of the Screenlogic as Brian is? If not, why, may I ask? (Unless I'm opening up a can of worms better left closed! ;-) )

Lest we hijack the OP's thread, I'll just link to thread we are referring to where Brian makes a very generous offer (in keeping with his very generous and helpful personality) ;)

Automating my spillway - Seeking Advice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So getting back to the issues at hand.

You need at lest one more light in the pool two more if they are LEDs. They should be on the side facing away from the main seating area.

Your filter is to small. Yea it may calculate out correctly. But the bigger the better with a cartridge filter. It will operate at lower pressure and have to be cleaned less often,

Matt likes vacuum lines because if it all goes to heck and you have a bunch of algae they can be very very helpful. I'm not so sold that they are necessary. But, adding a vacuum port now is cheap and easy.

I don't see a pool sweep. I suggest a robot. You don't have to run the pump and can just throw it in once a week for a couple hours and the pool will look great. Suction and presure cleaners require more pump time and so cost more to operate.

You don't have to run the pump and can just throw it in once a week for a couple hours and the pool will look great. Suction and presure cleaners require more pump time and so cost more to operate.
Not to take thread off topic, but it might help OP with their decision as well so I'll ask. How does suction cleaning require more pump time? Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I simply switch over from skimmers/drain to suction vac during my regular pump time not increasing my pump time at all. Am I doing this wrong?

Not to take thread off topic, but it might help OP with their decision as well so I'll ask. How does suction cleaning require more pump time? Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I simply switch over from skimmers/drain to suction vac during my regular pump time not increasing my pump time at all. Am I doing this wrong?

I leave my suction-side cleaner in the pool all the time and only take it out when we go swimming. I split my suction-side cleaner and skimmer flow at the pad using a 3-way valve. This arrangement does use more power because in order to get the suction cleaner to run well, run the spillway AND generate chlorine, I need to run my VS pump at a higher RPM. If I pulled out the suction-cleaner, turned off the spillway and only returned water to the pool with the SWG running, I can cut ~ my RPM's down by 33%.

So yes, running a suction cleaner does typically take either more pumping speed (electrical power) and/or pump run time (depending on how good the cleaner is at cleaning). I can typically vacuum my pool manually in about 1/2 hour and get the entire pool clean. My suction cleaner can take several hours and not do as good a job.

Matt's analysis is correct. While my pressure side cleaner operates even on low speeds its more effective on an increased pump speed. But with robots you cut power usage even more and reduce pump run time. So your power bills go down and you (in theory) extend the life of your pump.

I leave my suction-side cleaner in the pool all the time and only take it out when we go swimming. I split my suction-side cleaner and skimmer flow at the pad using a 3-way valve. This arrangement does use more power because in order to get the suction cleaner to run well, run the spillway AND generate chlorine, I need to run my VS pump at a higher RPM. If I pulled out the suction-cleaner, turned off the spillway and only returned water to the pool with the SWG running, I can cut ~ my RPM's down by 33%.

So yes, running a suction cleaner does typically take either more pumping speed (electrical power) and/or pump run time (depending on how good the cleaner is at cleaning). I can typically vacuum my pool manually in about 1/2 hour and get the entire pool clean. My suction cleaner can take several hours and not do as good a job.
Ah, got it, you're right, I do increase my pump rpm to 1600 from 1150 when running my cleaner. So some quick math tells me based on my electricity rate I spend an additional .0858 cents a week/$4.46 a year running my vac cleaner. So in my case in terms of additional cost running a suction vac there really is none as my cleaner was $400 vs $1,000+ for a robot, and you still have to power the robot during cleaning. It will take a lot of years at $4.46 additional cost running a side vac to make up the $600+ cost difference between a robot and a side vac.

That said, I REALLY wish I'd spent the extra money and gone robot (still would have installed the suction port) as my suction vac is a PITA to put in and out of the pool trying to get all the air out of the hose, having to reach in during the cold months and disconnect to empty the leaf canister and quite frankly, it sucks at cleaning my shallow end. Then when its out of the pool it and 20+ feet of hose are sitting on my decking and I have to worry about someone tripping over it, stepping on the hose etc. My neighbor simply pulls his robot out with the cord, wraps the cord round it's stand and wheels it out of the way. Looks super easy!

So if I had to do it over again, even with the additional cost to purchase the robot I think I would have opted for the robot vs. suction vac. In terms of additional expense running a side vac vs. robot, in my opinion/case it's negligible.

OP hope this information was helpful.

Great info all! Thank you.
Question: so I'm thinking now, 2 led in the pool and 2 glowbrite by the steps. Does it matter visual/glare wise for the 2 big ones if they are on the same wall or oppose one another (1 on the north wall deep end and one on the south wall shallow)?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. I really appreciate all the feedback!
Nervous,
BK

Hi,
I am another Pentair lover. As one who sells and installs about $350K+ a year of it, I know a bit. For heater go with the Master temp. It is the exact same heater inside, just looks so much nicer:) and easier to get into later if any issues.
I am a fan of that sta-rite filter. Down side over a Clean and clear+ is the huge filters. When that outer one is dirty it takes two to lift it out, not to mention the cost to replace down the line. I can buy three sets for the clean and clear for the same price as one of the sta rite.
Buy the easytouch with the IC packaged for best price. Screen logic is a no brainer, and a must. Don't need a Intellibrite controller when using a easytouch.
One VS pump will handle all your needs. You will need a electric valve CVA for each water feature so you can control them.
Have fun.

There certainly are differences but all of the brands are of the same quality. In my mind, the most important thing to consider (especially when using automation) is to stick with the same brand. Its sad that there isn't some sort of industry standard for connections and wiring so you could choose the pump, heater, SWG, etc of your choice.

Its just like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate. All are reliable, similarly priced and will get the job done, it really just comes down to preference.

I am a Pentair guy but that is mainly based on my level of comfort with their products. I wouldn't be opposed to looking into other brands (especially Jandy recently), but that would require me starting completely over to learn a new system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.