Hayward H400ED1 repair

Jan 20, 2016
San Diego CA
I have an Hayward H400ED1 pool/spa heater that has been bullet proof for the past 14 years. This week it seems to have stopped working. It does not ignite. Water pressure is good and I have confirmed that the unit is getting power. I am assuming that there is some fuse or switch that is faulty because the unit stopped working one night, then worked fine the next day, then again it worked then stopped working with no other changes to the system.

Guess I am just looking for some items to test before I call a pool company out to fix it.

I have to ask..........have you looked for the manual or do you have it from when you bought it? My husband thinks it should be something simple like a fuse/switch/igniter. If you could share the manual I bet we could figure it out.

Kim

Fuses will either work or not work. There is no in-between. I see the igniter in this unit looks like it is a spark igniter. When you turn the unit on, do you heat it sparking to light the unit? If not, I would test the pressure switch to see if it is closing properly when the pump is running.

No error message on the display? LO would indicate a possible flow issue and the pressure switch needs to be looked at.

Does the blower motor kick in when you turn it on?

There is no digital display on my unit. I opened it up and tested the pressure switch and did a few other continuity checks. Everything seemed to test OK and now the heater is working again. I did not notice any loose connections but maybe I had one. I will keep an eye on it. Not sure what else it could have been.

There is no digital display on my unit. I opened it up and tested the pressure switch and did a few other continuity checks. Everything seemed to test OK and now the heater is working again. I did not notice any loose connections but maybe I had one. I will keep an eye on it. Not sure what else it could have been.

I misread the heater model. Yes the ED1 has no display. Is this the milivolt unit with a standing pilot light?

Well the issue came back but this time instead of not igniting I don't seem to be getting any power to the control panel. When I jumper past all the switches I do get power and the heater ignites. Assuming one or more of the 5 (I think) switches must be bad. Not sure which ones. I still get voltage to the control panel it is just not 24V. Its more like 9V. Not sure what or how a bad switch causes a drop in voltage. I ordered new switches and will install them on see where that gets me.

My question to the forum now is does anyone have any tricks to removing the 2 temperature limiter switches that are located directly behind my gas line. Doesn't look like it will be too easy to get them out without removing the gas line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.