Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool bench width - 12" or 18"

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool bench width - 12" or 18"

Our pool digging starts tomorrow AM and the crew is outside marking the area of the pool. Looking at the marked area for the pool, it seems like our pool may not be wide enough. I was asking the project manager and he said that we could do 12" wide bench. The bench runs along the length of the pool on one side.

What do you think? Stick with 18" or 12" will be OK? Attached is the design we are going with.

IMG_0539.jpg IMG_0084-1.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool bench width - 12" or 18"

Your attachment didn't show up. My vote is 18 inches, but I'm a bigger guy and that combined with the coping overhang not allowing you to sit tight to the wall, the extra room I think is necessary. Not an expert in this regard, just my opinion.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

12" would seem too skinny for me.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think it will too. Just wanted a little more width, but perhaps 18" will not make too much of a difference.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

How about something in between. Mine is 16, and it seems about right.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I was thinking 16 is best. Most of our kitchen chairs and stuff are 15"-16".
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I think we are going to make the entire book wider by 16 or 18 inches. I think that will solve the problem

I will find out tomorrow AM what it will cost us. I do like the idea of 16" as that would be good for the pool dimensions we have.

8. Back To Top    #8

We ended up extending the pool width by 18" and kept the bench at 18 inches. The PB will change $900 - $1000 more and I think it is worth is.

Thank you all for your feedback. Otherwise, I would have gone with 12 inch bench and like all of you said, it would have been uncomfortable for adults to sit on.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good plan!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

I would definitely do 18. 18" is typical standard. That said my back bench is 18" where as my side bench is 28"