Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test results after lowering high CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

First test results after lowering high CYA

Bought my house in October of last year and it came with a pool. I'm from Chicago area, so I knew nothing about maintaining a pool. Luckily I found this site rather quickly and didn't get pool stored (or however you phrase it).

Long story, short...once I got the green cesspool looking like a clear, celestial pool, I started taking tests. Found that my CYA was 250-300! From reading here, I knew to drain the water to lower it. That's been my obsession for the last 2 weeks...diluting and draining.

Just last night did my pool finally fill up from, what I hope is the last partial draining and here's my test results using a K-2006 kit:

FC: 6.4
    CC: 0
    Ph: 7.8 (best I could tell)
    TA: 90
    CH: 140-160
    CYA: 40ish

How's these levels look? I know the CH is low and I'm in the process of adding some calcium chloride per the pool math's recommendations. See anything else I need to do?

Funny story...when I went to the pool store today to purchase the calcium chloride, I brought a water sample for them to test so I could compare to my results (BTW, they were way off on some things). They always ask how the pool is doing. I told them my stabilizer has been way too high so I just completed a 50% drain and finally got it to where I wanted it (kind of knowing I'd get a reaction ). He immediately got upset and scolded me for doing that and said I basically screwed up all the chemicals in the pool. He says the CYA is MUCH too low and now I'll have to add all kinds of stuff to fix what I did and that I'll have a green swamp again as soon as the temp goes back up. My pool can't survive without chlorine tablets says him. I pointed out that using chlorine tablets would continuously raise the CYA levels and that on their literature, it says that if stabilizer is too high, a partial drain should happen. I asked him what he considers too high to be. He said to ignore what it says, that they disagree with their corporate's advice on where to keep the stabilizer level. And then he said this...your stabilizer isn't too high until it gets to the 2000-3000 ppm range , but until then, we can let it go! I almost laughed out loud. If I was more confident in my knowledge and abilities, I would have debated him as the store was dead, but I let it go.

I'll get my chlorine from there and pool parts as I need them and a good laugh once in a while, but never will I take their advice! Thanks for all the great advice on here!!
    ~12,000gal. plaster, in-ground pool; Hayward cartridge filter; 1hp pump; Use Taylor 2006 kit w/ Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: First test results after lowering high CYA

Nice work!

Watch pH and keep it in the seven's

What does your water look like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Water has been crystal clear for over a month now. Love the way it sparkles in the sun. I'm just happy to have the chemistry in check now and I can really start maintaining it instead of battling it.
    ~12,000gal. plaster, in-ground pool; Hayward cartridge filter; 1hp pump; Use Taylor 2006 kit w/ Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just did another CH test an hour after adding calcium chloride and results came back around 220 +/- a drop. Is that acceptable or should I add a bit more?

5. Back To Top    #5

Good job screwing up your chemicals! Numbers look good. Did you ask him how he tests for 2000 CYA? LOL!!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jpolsen View Post
    Just did another CH test an hour after adding calcium chloride and results came back around 220 +/- a drop. Is that acceptable or should I add a bit more?
    You will want to bring it up at least a little. With a plaster manually chlorinated (liquid chlorine) you wan to keep in the 250-350 range.

Good work with the pool store. When I'm bored I'll take a water sample in to see what they say. Funny thing is, they always see something to try to sell me a product to "fix". I always just say "great, I have some of that at home".
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Good job screwing up your chemicals! Numbers look good. Did you ask him how he tests for 2000 CYA? LOL!!!
    Every time I brought in a water sample, their tests always showed my CYA level being at 100. I knew it was much higher, but then when I asked about it, they said that's as high as it goes for them. I'm sure with a bit more knowledge, I could go in there and get them to contradict themselves with what they (don't) know. Good pool logic would eat them alive!

- - - Updated - - -

When I'm adding drops and the red water starts to turn blue, should I interpret purple as red and keep adding or interpret it as blue and stop? This is why I say my CH is 220+/-.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jpolsen View Post
    When I'm adding drops and the red water starts to turn blue, should I interpret purple as red and keep adding or interpret it as blue and stop? This is why I say my CH is 220+/-.
    ANY drops base test should be done by adding drops one at a time until you observe no further color change.

Are you using a speedstir?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

No speedstir...it's all in the wrist! Just finished reading a sticky further explaining each test and it talked about the purple color...called it a "fading endpoint". With what you said and after reading that explanation, I believe my CH to be on the higher end of my testing range. I'll try again tomorrow.

10. Back To Top    #10

I was all when you said you took water the pool store then I was all when I saw his numbers! UNREAL!

I very happy to see you have listened and learned. You will LOVE being here at TFP! I would LOVE for you to stay around and help others as they come here to learn so you can share what you have learned.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Because of the swirling involved in the test it seems to be more accurate when a Speedstir is used. I guess it has to do with the constant stirring.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Funny thing is, they always see something to try to sell me a product to "fix". I always just say "great, I have some of that at home.
    Now that is funny! LOL I will have to use this!

13. Back To Top    #13

I love the speedstir! Got one for xmas and the measuring thingy that you drop into the vial to displace the water for accurate readings.
    My Pool: Guessing; 7,500g total, has a spa. WhisperFlo WFE-28 single speed, MiniMax NT 400 heater, Pentair Cart. CCP320.
    BIL pool: 16,000 total water, (650g spa). 3hp InteliFlo VS, Hayward heater (unsure of BTU), Hayward DE6000. full drain/refill on Nov. 25th, running BBB.

14. Back To Top    #14

I may have to look into the speedstir and "measuring thingy"! I'm all about accuracy.

15. Back To Top    #15

I was on my iPad when I posted before and it's hard to set up links, so here they are

"measuring thingy" - Sample Sizer

SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer

I will just point out that most of us here recommend purchases at TFTestkits.net Why? Because when donations to keep the lights on here come up short, TFTestkits.net pays the bills and our electrons keep flowing.

CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm expecting some refills from tftestkits to show up at my doorstep any day now. I'm all about supporting places that provide a good service!