Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is Anyone using a tankless water heater to heat a pool or spa?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Is Anyone using a tankless water heater to heat a pool or spa?

I have a customer who lives off grid. We are installing a conventional portable spa. Connecting it to his solar ac power and plan to fill it with on demand hot water heater. He will then maintain with ac power while in use. When done he will then use water to water garden etc. No chemicals needed!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Is Anyone using a tankless water heater to heat a pool or spa?

Welcome to the forum davesblackdiamond

By "off grid" is the solar panel going to supply all the power for the electric tankless heater ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

His whole home is solar with battery banks as he is off grid. The tankless hot water heater is going to be propane.
    Owner of Daves Black Diamond Service
    Repairing spas for 15+ years.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

The energy required to heat the water in your tub will astonish you.

Make sure your customer (or you) does the calcs before you decide you need that tub. The propane guy may wear a path coming to refill your tank. How many gallons in the tub?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

IMHO the owner might want to consider some solar or wood fired options to supplement the heating.

Just don't know enough about the physical setup or how often they intend to use it. I'd rather have something well insulated where I keep the water (and heat) and add a little bleach now and then rather than try to use it like a bathtub and drain it after each use.
    Just depends on how often they use it whether it's worth it to try and keep it hot or just fill when needed.

Just seems for someone off grid wood might be a better way to go than the AC for backup heating. It just uses a lot of watts. But again I don't know the output of the solar or the storage capacity of the battery bank.

I had a propane heater and pulled it due to the amount of propane needed to get/keep it warm. Just didn't seem cost effective.

Come to think of it I don't know if we're talking indoor or outdoor ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

On demand water heaters are not designed to be used to do anything other than heat water for short periods of time like washing clothes, dishes, baths, etc. They are better served to get a unit that is designed for the task. If it is a propane fuel source, get a real spa heater.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,