Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: high cc

1. Back To Top    #1

high cc

Anything over about .5 CC indicates you need more sanitizer and that you are getting into an area where you want to stay out of the spa
    I'm no expert, but this doesn't jive with my experience.

.5 cc would be considered an unusually low reading. 2-3.5 cc is more typical, with readings as high as 6 cc not unheard of.

"Shocking" as described in the context of my spa, doesn't really make sense either. I "shock" every time I add chlorine basically. I add as much as I think I can get away with without damaging equipment. 20ppm fc is about the target, give or take 5pp, depending on the initial test results.

Cya levels are a bit of a mystery, cause I haven't tested very often. I can say for sure that they've been between 50 and 20 since Halloween.

For us, at least, just keeping FC at all, at all times, is the goal. This is irrespective of CC readings.

CC readings come down after not using the tub for a few days, or by running the air jets.

Running the air jets causes PH to climb, although that is easy to deal with.

It's not clear to me why I should care what the CC is. Keeping up with FC, PH, and CYA, is enough for me to deal with.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HDX 5 Way test kit and shocking

CC is an indication that your FC is being consumed by organic material or has recently been consumed by organic material and there hasn't been enough outgassing of CC. Presence of CC all the time means that your FC is constantly being consumed and you may have something growing in your spa. Specifically biofilms in the spa plumbing.

However, if you're always testing after soaks, then you're likely going to see CC levels like you're reporting. Do you have these high CC levels before you soak? What levels are you maintaining your FC at when not in use?

There is a difference between shocking your spa and dosing it. Shocking means you're elevating the FC to a level necessary to rid the spa of bather waste or active bacteria. At 30 ppm CYA, this would be 12 ppm FC. Dosing the spa means bringing the FC up to a maintenance level, which would only be into the 3-5 ppm range.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: HDX 5 Way test kit and shocking

I always test before I get in. That way, I know how much bleach to bring out with me.

Yes, there are bio films in the plumbing that consume chlorine. I know this because demand dropped after doing an ahh-some treatment/water change.
    It took about three weeks for demand to return back to normal.

I'm not going to change my water every three weeks, and I'm not going to convert my back yard into a hockey rink.

FC is somewhere between zero and twenty, depending on how long it's been since it's been added last. Usually, chlorine is added every day. sometimes, a day gets missed.

After 24 hours, FC has dropped to single digits, after 48 hours it's zero with some cc measurable, after 72 hours, the water has probably gone cloudy.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: high cc

That's a much higher than expected chlorine demand. When I bring my FC up to 10 ppm, I can usually go for several days (if unused) and still have 1-2 ppm of FC with no cloudy water issues.

Sounds like you need additional treatments with the ahh-some product, filter cleaning and perhaps being more diligent about never letting the FC drop to 0. In the spring, I'd strongly consider additional flushes.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

you need additional treatments with the ahh-some product, filter cleaning and perhaps being more diligent about never letting the FC drop to 0. In the spring, I'd strongly consider additional flushes
    These sound like good sensible suggestions. Will do. I am also considering adding a stenner pump with a tank in the spring for chlorine automation.

Thank you for your comments.

6. Back To Top    #6

One other thing that I've looked into myself for the spa is a simple drop in SWG system designed for spas. This is the website: Salt water hot tub Chlorine Generators makes chlorine out of salt

I have not yet tried one myself, but have heard good reviews from other folks on TFP who have. I guess at some point I need to get one, just to be more informed on them!

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you by chance dosing the spa with MPS after soaks?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain