Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make builder redo water feature?

1. Back To Top    #1

Make builder redo water feature?

Here's what I requested and what I have. Would you make the builder redo it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fiberglass pool 5300 gallons (trilogy eclipse)
    inground
    Cartridge filter
    2HP hayward ecostar sp3400vsp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Make builder redo water feature?

I most certainly would, that is like ordering a Harley and getting a Moped
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow. My concern about asking the builder to re-do it: is he capable of doing it right? There is such a big difference between what was requested and what was delivered. Hopefully you still have a big retainage that you held back, and you can use it as leverage and/or to pay someone to create the feature you expected.
    Owner Build. 32x16, with 6x8 raised spa. Broke ground April 1, 2016, swimming July 18. Pentair Intelliflo VS + Whisperflo for Water features; Clean & Clear Filter 420; Master Temp Heater 400k BTU; Intellibrite 120V pool and spa lights; Regular ol' plaster.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

+1^^^
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

5. Back To Top    #5

Ouch....yeah I'd certainly make him redo or hire someone else. Hope you haven't paid him ....
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pretty ridiculous isn't it. Yes, I've held back money in case this sort of thing happened. He's gonna have fun tearing that POS out....
    inground
    Cartridge filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes I would have it redone also. But my concern would be to find out what was stipulated in the contract. Did it just say water feature or waterfall? If so then you might not have a case. But, if it's much more specific then for sure you do.

Just playing devils advocate....
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

8. Back To Top    #8

I hope you did not pay them yet. I would be very upset.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would like to see how you told him what you wanted and how it was written up.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

The contract just says water feature but I gave him the photo of what I wanted at the time of the quote
    inground
    Cartridge filter

11. Back To Top    #11

That's going to cost some coin to do the water feature you posted verses what they built.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

12. Back To Top    #12

I hope he's not real proud of his creation. If he's proud of it, reality might hurt.

Agreed that it depends what's in your contract or drawings. Did your picture get attached to the contract by any chance? Or maybe if his bid, or the contract, included a separate price in the $000s for the water feature, you could argue that something more was reasonably expected.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

13. Back To Top    #13

That is a sad interpretation of your picture. My experience was that natural water features like you pictured are spec'd in terms of tons of material, and they are more expensive than raised beams. Good luck to you on this, because the design is gorgeous!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Good luck with fighting the contractor. Was the picture attached to the contract? I won't use the words I'd like to describe the contractor. But if sued in small claims he can just say he never saw the picture. How much did you pay this guy? The one in the picture is $3 to $5 thousand in my market.
    The main thing you have going for you is that the completed project looks like a sixth grade science project.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

15. Back To Top    #15

Have you talked to the PB about this?
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

This type thing can never be resolved by this forum. You and your builder have to work out what each of you will accept.

Those two pics are so conflicting I can't help but think there has been a complete lack of communication......can you restore that with him?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

So my husband is confirming that even a modest waterfall feature would cost $6-7K based on our PB estimates. And by modest, it was less than your picture. We had some landscaping steps placed in our yard for ~ $4K for reference.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

18. Back To Top    #18

The contractor has agreed to demo the existing and start over. This time I'm going to be onsite, pick out the stones ahead of time, and even dry build it near where it will ultimately go. Pretty ridiculous but I'll hopefully get this resolved
    inground
    Cartridge filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Wow is all I can say ...huge difference between the two pictures.good luck and I hope it all works out for you. Your pb should be embarrassed to have performed that work smh
    34x48 40,000 gal mt lake concrete wall vinyl lined pool,gli 28 mil blk granite liner w/sure-step, pentair easy touch 8 w/screen logic,pentair fnsp 48 filter,2 pentair intellichlor vs pumps, pentair intellichlor ic60, 3 pentair led intellibrate 5g lights, 4 pentair magic stream Laminars, 12 ton moss rock waterfall

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Meaty View Post
    The contractor has agreed to demo the existing and start over. This time I'm going to be onsite, pick out the stones ahead of time, and even dry build it near where it will ultimately go. Pretty ridiculous but I'll hopefully get this resolved
    I am glad to hear that! I have to wonder if he would want you to "showcase" his first work? I would NOT!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast