Ready to learn about my pool

Oct 8, 2015
Wind Gap, PA
I finally got around to posting some pictures. Ive been so busy with the move and getting my rental property in line.
Here are some pics. I'm a complete newbie to pools so ANY information you can provide to me will be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 44612IMG_2261[1].jpgIMG_2262[1].jpgIMG_2389[1].jpgIMG_2390[2].JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I cant post more than 4 pictures, its telling me I am exceeding my amount. I guess I have to use photobucket?

- - - Updated - - -

Ill have to find another way to post the photos, make them smaller or load them on another site. Wont be able to do that at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_2390[1].JPG
    IMG_2390[1].JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 396
Re: Intro / New Pool Owner

You can become a supporting member to increase your photo allotment or you can use photo bucket or such.

I am going to give you some links to read. It will be a LOT of info. take a bite at a time and chew slowly until you understand it just a little. Some of it will not make sense until you get your test kit and can do the tests.

Print these out:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Bookmark these:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Take your time and ask questions!

Kim

Thanks for the links Kim, Ive read all of them about 5 times each lol. I learned a lot but Ill learn more once I start doing it myself.
Some of the things I don't know are the size of the pool and what type of filter system I have.

Well I don't have a clue about your filter! I THINK the last picture is it BUT I have NEVER seen one like that! We can learn together!

Size of pool------go to pool math and put in what you DO know and go from there. Tell us what you are working with and we can help as well.

I hope you can add more pics. A pic. of the whole pool would be helpful with the sizing.

Kim

I plan on adding more photos as soon as I have time to upload them on photo bucket.
As for the filter, its actually next to the pool under ground where the skimmer is located, its a long cartridge type filter. I'm not sure what type of filter that is in the picture, maybe a secondary filter? I know its not a sand or DE filter system.

I don't know anything to put in pool math, when I closed on the house the pool was already closed for winter. I don't know what to tell you Im working with because I don't know anything about the system yet.

All I know is the previous owner said its a "low chlorine" pool, not sure what that is....
Its an in ground pool, deep end is only like 5 feet and shallow end is 2-3ft.
Ill get pics up ASAP.

The pool filter looks like a long shop vacuum filter, Ill take some pics next time im in the pool shed.
Yeah the pool is covered and yes they used a pool service. I refuse to pay someone to do something I know I can do. I can probably do It better than them with help from members on this forum!
I have not purchased a test kit yet

Well, get a recommended testkit ;) !!! Maybe you could ask the pool service about what they do. A "low chlorine" pool could mean a few things...

- - - Updated - - -

You will love taking care of your pool and knowing it is safe and oh, so pretty to look at!

With it covered we have a couple of months to work you through your pool knowledge.

Our first job is to figure out your equipment. The picture of the filter will get us started on that.

Next time you are able go out and write down all of your model numbers-pump, filter, everything that has a number and name.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good looking pool. Crappy filter system. Where do you live? It will make your life a lot easier to upgrade that. Not that it is not workable, just what I would do. This community will get you up to speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'm from Doylestown originally. You def want a sand or preferably de filter. But I hear you sometimes you just need to work with what you've got. Do a soak in a light acid solution to get that filter as clean as possible. Your pump is about bullet proof so that's good. Have you looked into the BBB method of pool care? Just a word of warning the local pool stores around you are WAY overpriced composites to Internet sources.

I'm from Doylestown originally. You def want a sand or preferably de filter. But I hear you sometimes you just need to work with what you've got. Do a soak in a light acid solution to get that filter as clean as possible. Your pump is about bullet proof so that's good. Have you looked into the BBB method of pool care? Just a word of warning the local pool stores around you are WAY overpriced composites to Internet sources.

Compared*

You did good! I found your pump. It is a 1 hp, single speed. You can add that to your siggy along with the fact you have a cart. filter. Here is a link to your filter:

Amazon.com: hayward c48k2n143b1

Next lets talk about the "pool frog cycler" I see. That thing is a money hog AND it is not the best thing for you pool or hair! it uses minerals that can cause staining of the pool and hair (blond hair turns green!)

You can leave it in BUT you need to take the stuff inside it out and leave them out.

What you will use from now on is chlorine or bleach. Look at the links I provide in one of my above posts. The TFP way is so much easier and cheaper. PLEASE do not let the pool store test your water. I know they will do it for free BUT is it really free if you walk out with $$ of stuff to treat your pool?

Go ahead and order your test kit so you can test your fill water and learn the ins and outs of testing.

We are making good progress in learning your pool! Good job!

Kim

im originally from Allentown then I moved to Easton and now I'm in wind gap. Eventually I would like to switch to a DE system. Glad to hear about the pump. I have read about BBB and TFP, I learn by doing so reading helps but I'll learn more by doing it. I plan on buying bleach from the store and everything else off the internet. Thanks for the help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.