Ready to learn about my pool

You did good! I found your pump. It is a 1 hp, single speed. You can add that to your siggy along with the fact you have a cart. filter. Here is a link to your filter:

Amazon.com: hayward c48k2n143b1

Next lets talk about the "pool frog cycler" I see. That thing is a money hog AND it is not the best thing for you pool or hair! it uses minerals that can cause staining of the pool and hair (blond hair turns green!)

You can leave it in BUT you need to take the stuff inside it out and leave them out.

What you will use from now on is chlorine or bleach. Look at the links I provide in one of my above posts. The TFP way is so much easier and cheaper. PLEASE do not let the pool store test your water. I know they will do it for free BUT is it really free if you walk out with $$ of stuff to treat your pool?

Go ahead and order your test kit so you can test your fill water and learn the ins and outs of testing.

We are making good progress in learning your pool! Good job!

Kim

i adjusted my signature.

Im assuming you meant link to my pump because that's where it took me. Thanks
i will empty the pool frog and not use it, I did a lot of reading on here, so much my head hurts.
Im fully committed to using the TFP method, I'm still wondering what the seller meant by "low chlorine pool" though...

I plan on buying a good test kit, I forget which one someone suggested on here...ill have to look it up.

I appreciate all the help, I'm trying to get a head start before spring is here.

They were referring to their frog system. With the use of a mineral system like the frog or nature 2 you can run at .5 ppm of chlorine instead of 1 to 3 ppm (that's the retail pitch, note it doesn't mention or account for cya) I sold these products for a long time and do believe they can have a place in caring for your pool but also they aren't right for everyone. For you I think the best thing you can do is try to keep your costs as low as possible and get a new filter with your savings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Also remember bleach doesn't have to be your only option for chlorine. If your cya is on the low side and you can pick up some cheap di-chlor do it. If it's more cost effective to use cal-hypo and you don't have high calcium levels in your water do it. If bleach is the most cost effective do it. At the end of the day chlorine is chlorine. Just be aware chlorine always has other things with it. As long as you test regularly and account for these things you will be fine. Just don't forget about the other things in an effort to go cheap.

They were referring to their frog system. With the use of a mineral system like the frog or nature 2 you can run at .5 ppm of chlorine instead of 1 to 3 ppm (that's the retail pitch, note it doesn't mention or account for cya) I sold these products for a long time and do believe they can have a place in caring for your pool but also they aren't right for everyone. For you I think the best thing you can do is try to keep your costs as low as possible and get a new filter with your savings.

i definitely need to keep costs low, my water softener just broke and its the original one so no one wants to fix it; they all want to replace it. Thanks for the response, that makes sense now. I asked many people I know with pools and they all said they never heard of a low chlorine pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Also remember bleach doesn't have to be your only option for chlorine. If your cya is on the low side and you can pick up some cheap di-chlor do it. If it's more cost effective to use cal-hypo and you don't have high calcium levels in your water do it. If bleach is the most cost effective do it. At the end of the day chlorine is chlorine. Just be aware chlorine always has other things with it. As long as you test regularly and account for these things you will be fine. Just don't forget about the other things in an effort to go cheap.

i don't know what those other chemicals are but I will keep that in mind once I start opening the pool and get some test results.

i definitely need to keep costs low, my water softener just broke and its the original one so no one wants to fix it; they all want to replace it. Thanks for the response, that makes sense now. I asked many people I know with pools and they all said they never heard of a low chlorine pool.

- - - Updated - - -

i don't know what those other chemicals are but I will keep that in mind once I start opening the pool and get some test results.

Spoolin,

One thing you'll do is save money with these folks helping you. Only a few months ago I knew nothing about pools and I got a lot of patient help from Kim, Marion and others here. Now my pool is looking great and costs next to nothing to maintain Vs the previous pool service.

I'll leave the pool stuff to the experts but one thing I may suggest is you consider rebuilding or replacing your water softener yourself. You seem pretty handy and open to a little hard work. I did mine a couple of months ago and saved thousands compared to the water softener companies. There are a few specially designed units that can't be repaired by anyone other than a rep and it sounds like they all indicate you should replace it anyway. If you Google "Fleck water softeners" it'll take you to a long list of discount providers and all of them have simple "fill in the form" design tools to help you size it. It is very simple to install especially if you have one already installed that just needs replacement so you already have the plumbing. It took me a day to do and I had to cut the main water supply plus route it through the garage wall to install my system. Hooking it up inside was a piece of cake! I have a well irrigation system on well water that I want to be able to use as pool water in the future so I sized mine for that but I only use city water at the moment. Total cost of the equipment and materials was ~$500.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Spoolin,

I know the feeling, moving back home I had a lot of other priorities also! Whenever you want to tackle it feel free to contact me and we'll move the thread to "everything else" or something to help keep the forum organized. I'll be happy to send photo's and how I decided on preference items.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm from Doylestown originally. You def want a sand or preferably de filter. But I hear you sometimes you just need to work with what you've got. Do a soak in a light acid solution to get that filter as clean as possible. Your pump is about bullet proof so that's good. Have you looked into the BBB method of pool care? Just a word of warning the local pool stores around you are WAY overpriced composites to Internet sources.

Ok so are the filters for my pool reusable? Because I have a bunch of them.
Does anyone have a link or how to on soaking the filters in a light acid solution? No idea how to do that

Here is a link to cleaning filters. Most of them can be reused with cleaning.

Notice there is a link inside the link you might want to follow.

Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Kim

Ok so I just read that whole thread, thanks for the help.

im going to find some TSP and acid for when spring gets here. I don't recall my filters having any bands around them like others posted. I'm wondering how many filters actually go in my pool.
I also found this thing in the pool shed that you hook a hose up to and set the filter on it and it sprays the filter down, seems pretty useless from the looks of it.
I also have to start buying bleach, anyone have suggestions on where I can get a high % bleach from?

- - - Updated - - -

I also ordered my test kit today...

I get my chlorine from the ACE Hardware up the road from me. It is 11%. I put a deposit on 4 jugs and get them refilled as needed.

Other have found the best price at a local pool store, other get plain, generic bleach from Walmart (no scents or easy pour).

Be very careful with Lowes and Home Depot as their chlorine tends to sit around for a while. Check the date codes tomake sure it is no more than 3 months out.

Kim

Mine are 2.5 gals each. Much easier for me to handle and pour. Not all Ace have the chlorine. I hope yours does. The people at my Ace know my truck and have my jugs refilled and dogs treated before I get back to the truck! LOL

Kim

My pool store does $10 for 2 - 21/2 gal refill jugs and has $7 sale every month or so. Same deal at Leslie's and Pinch a Penny. Both are 10%.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I called my local ace hardware, they sell only 1 gallon jugs of 10% for $5.99 a gallon.
i went to target last night and they have generic concentrated bleach unscented at 8.25% for $3 a gallon. Haven't checked the local Walmart yet..

If you have an Ollies, check them in May. You can get 12% for $2.99 a gallon. A lot of people say don't stock up but I buy around 40 gals in one run and keep it in my air conditioned dark basement. I buy it like that because it's a one time shipment n once it's gone, it's GONE!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.