Dante's Playground Revitalization | An adventure in rehabbing, on your own

You have a gift for narration! Very entertaining and enjoyable to follow!

Why was he called Optics Bob? Did you personal deposit part of him in all those locations?

Dad was one of the premiere Optical Technology professors in the country. Even the guys in the industry figure that he was personally responsible for training guys that started somewhere on the order of 400 to 500 companies. (For some reason, he never wanted to go corporate, always preferred teaching.)

I did all of the traveling except for Cuba - my mom did that trip (she just got back last week) and in case your wondering, no, she wouldn't recommend spending a dime to go to Cuba to anyone.

Dad was one of the premiere Optical Technology professors in the country. Even the guys in the industry figure that he was personally responsible for training guys that started somewhere on the order of 400 to 500 companies. (For some reason, he never wanted to go corporate, always preferred teaching.)

I did all of the traveling except for Cuba - my mom did that trip (she just got back last week) and in case your wondering, no, she wouldn't recommend spending a dime to go to Cuba to anyone.

Amazing, wonderful story, and such a great legacy!

I was just talking to the hubby about Cuba yesterday...definitely NOT a place I'm interested in :)

Amazing, wonderful story, and such a great legacy!

I was just talking to the hubby about Cuba yesterday...definitely NOT a place I'm interested in :)

Dad was a character all to himself. That's for sure. The stories I still get from his colleagues are.....interesting to say the least.

I went to Cuba 3 years ago on a whim (through Mexico.) Even I can recommend going just about anywhere else, which is, sad to say the least. It has potential, but it's greasy and moldy, everywhere. I'm an old car buff so that was about the excitement for me, since they have nothing newer than about 1954. There are so many other places that I can recommend if you want an island getaway. I had hopes when the embargo started to deteriorate, but it unfortunately won't help, the money just doesn't go to the right areas.

SO Interesting!!! You are so well-travelled; I am jealous.

I lost both my parents and have been sprinkling for many years. I have yet to make it overseas, although that is on the agenda for Mom. Their final resting place, (almost empty containers), will be at a National Cemetery. They were both veterans.

Sorry I helped distract your original thread, but you asked for it!!!!

SO Interesting!!! You are so well-travelled; I am jealous.

I lost both my parents and have been sprinkling for many years. i have yet to make it overseas, although that is on the agenda for Mom. Their final resting place, (almost empty containers), will be at a National Cemetery. They were both veterans.

Sorry I helped distract your original thread, but you asked for it!!!!

Awwww, that's awesome!!!

Yea, I am especially proud of my Mom. Most women during WWII were making bandages and stuff -God bless them!!! NO disrespect at all!!!- but my Mom was a Wave officer and was the only VFW in IL for a very long time until women were allowed back into the military. In fact, my parents met at an officer's club during the war.

Yea, I am especially proud of my Mom. Most women during WWII were making bandages and stuff -God bless them!!! NO disrespect at all!!!- but my Mom was a Wave officer and was the only VFW in IL for a very long time until women were allowed back into the military. In fact, my parents met at an officer's club during the war.

what a great story! You have every right to be proud and should be! I hope her/their story was written down and chronicled for your family to pass down so important details don't get lost.

Here's a fun story for the evening. I tackled this project last year, but I figure it plays into the whole thread, so why not.

The best title I can come up with is "How NOT to put up a giant solar shade"

When I bought the house, my realtor and I where perplexed about a pair of 4x4 posts at the corners of the pool. He thought it was for a clothesline. I had different ideas. After some measuring, and then realizing that there was a 3rd attachment point on the peak of the roof, I figured it was for a triangle sail, which makes sense, since those are all the rage here in Phoenix.

So, measure once, cut 37 times, and make 10 trips to Lowes, right?

After measuring, I start poking around on Amazon, and order me up the BIGGEST shade I can get (again, my pool itself is somewhere in the vicinity of 40x20, and I wanted to maximize coverage.) The ORIGINAL posts where something like 35 feet apart, and it was another 30 or so feet to the house, so I order a big one. Biggest I could find, which is 26x26x26 edge length.

3 days later, a giant box shows up, I get out the ladder, and tie the first rope to the house. Now, being part engineer, and knowing we get nasty wind, I wanted to be able to disconnect the sail, so I got some good heavy caribiners as well.

Step 1 - hook the sail to the rope attached to the house.
Step 2 - attach one corner to a ratchet strap / come-a-long on left post
Step 3 - attach last corner to another ratchet strap on the right post.

All is good at this point. I've got the ropes measured, I even have one tied. So, now I start pulling the other side tight.

Crank Crank Crank Crank Crank. Creak...splash.

The other post was held in with one of those stupid "post up" things, so it fell right over.

Trip #1 to Lowes, come home with a 60# bag of quickrete.

Dig hole (fun, in Phx clay, in august!) Pour concrete, set post, drill holes for hook eye, and wait.

2 Days later - go back out, hook up the ratchet straps again, and....crank crank crank....creak.....splash. This was one of "those" moments, that ended in having to drink a beer. And I think the neighbors learned a new NY 4-letter word.

Trip #2 to lowes. Another bag of concrete. maybe it was 2, I don't remember.

Dig hole #2, pour concrete, set post, and wait.

2 days later, get everything attached AGAIN. Crank crank crank.....no creaking! no splashing! All is good.....or so I thought.

Step back, crack open beer #2 for the project, and enjoy my handiwork. Then, all **** breaks loose, and BOTH posts come out of the ground, concrete ball and all, and the stupid thing falls over again. More 4 letter words ensue, and it's back to lowes.

Trip #3 - 8 bags of concrete, 12 pieces of 1 foot re-bar, 2 4x4x10 foot posts, 2 "swing springs" (whatever they are called for a porch swing) and 4 new hook eyes. Oh, and new rope.

I'm going to win this battle.

So...I spend saturday morning (early, like 6am) when it isn't as hot as the surface of Venus) digging 2 gigantic holes.

Here's the big tip of the thread. If you are going to set 4x4 posts, do yourself a huge favor, and buy some 1 foot pieces of 1/2 rebar. Drill holes through the post, and pound the rebar in so it looks like a giant spike laden ogre's hammer. THIS END GOES IN THE GROUND. Pour in the concrete, and wait.

(by this point, you've all figured out how much I love concrete.....I should have bought stock in quickrete before starting ANY of this.)

Drill a hole on the top of the 4x4 and pound the hook-eye through, use some good washers and lock nuts. The screw in ones will pull out. Just go big.

Now, the swing-spring thingies - these get attached to the TOP hook eyes. You can also put pulleys on here, but I just ran the rope through the end of the springs. This acts like a shock absorber in heavy winds. I've left this thing out in monsoon storms with wind up to 50MPH - it bounces around, but it hasn't had any issues. I prefer heavy cotton rope, it also acts like a shock absorber, and you can always re-tighten it. I put carabiners on the end so I can un-hook the sail in about 30 seconds and have it all rolled up if I think we're going to have a real blower, or I'm out of town for a couple days.

I don't have any "in process" pictures, but the finished looks like:

20150913_184153_zps8oxrkqwz.jpg
[/URL]

So, 8 bags of concrete - is about $30 or so.
2x 4x4x10's at $12 each - another $24
re-bar - 12x~$1 - we'll say $12

Carabiners - $2 each, have 3
Springs - I think they where about $7 or so, not bad.
Rope - $20, but plenty of leftover

The sail itself was about $70 if I recall. So, all in, less than $150, a couple of beers, and only a small barrage of 4 letter words

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The fun never stops at my house! We got back early from our skiing trip, and I had an hour or two to kill this morning, so, I figured, why not. Let's see how difficult it is to remove the old expansion joints.

If you have an older pool deck like me, you may be familiar with these.

20160124_1154111_zpsgxbtrrsr.jpg
[/URL]

I have somewhere around 60 feet of this nonsense in various lenghts, from the long one at 15 feet, to a bunch of short ones around 2 feet. Needless to say, they all look pretty awful (something about 20 year old plastic in the Arizona sun....I dunno...)

Anyway, before I paint the patio area, I figured I wanted to get them out. So, off we go!

Tools List
4.5 inch angle grinder
a bunch of cut off wheels (I used metal ones, since I had a couple packs of them. ) harbor freight, $7 a 10 pack.
a utility knife and a bunch of blades
hammer
chisel (i used a 1/2 and 1 inch)
pliers
knee pads and elbow grease.

This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Time consuming, but not really difficult. What I found easiest (I'm getting around 15 feet per hour out and clean, but I took a break since the football games are on.)

So, the fairly easy steps.

1 - Take the angle grinder and score along BOTH sides. Just let the tool do the work. Oh - I found it easier to work "pulling" the grinder rather than pushing. You can feel where you need to cut after a couple seconds - again, just let the wheel do the work.

Once you have it reasonably clean, bust it up with a chisel, and pull out the old stuff with a pair of pliers.

2 - Run the utiity knife down the side - you'll see some plastic sticking up, you want the blade between the concrete and plastic. Score it a couple times, then yank the strip out with the pliers.

3 - sweep the area, repeat with the knife, and move on.

You'll end up with something close to this....

20160124_1120201_zpsnmlft8du.jpg
[/URL]

and after a bunch of bent over back killing work, you'll have a nice clean slot, like this.

20160124_1153071_zpsxq4jpabw.jpg
[/URL]

I did a bunch of research on this prior to starting. For some reason, you'd think that this was something that people would replace regularily, but it took a lot of searching to come up with a replacement. I ended up ordering samples from 2 companies, Slabgasket, and Trim-A-Slap. They'll send you a couple pieces of each size to test, which is handy, since the stuff is about $3 a foot. You want to make sure you have the right stuff!

After some test fitting, I think I'm going to go with the trim-a-slab. It isn't as "deep" as the other stuff, I think it's 1/2 wide by 3/4 inch deep. Colors are limited, so I'm going to go with an almond color.

This really isn't a "hard" job, just time consuming, and dirty. It's amazing the junk that's caught under there after 20 years,not including the rotted original wood from the expansion joints. YUCK!

The trim-a-slab samples (obviously,NOT in order!)

20160124_1135271_zpsgjoyn59y.jpg
[/URL]

Test fitting

20160124_1136451_zpsyzotvvkc.jpg
[/URL]

And,the beast...

20151007_164714_zpsondrxzgu.jpg
[/URL]

You can't really tell from the test fit picture, but I'm going to end up going with the 1/2 for a majority of my replacements (I have one strip where I need the 1")

You want the trim-a-slab to sit BELOW the concrete. I couldn't get a good angle with my phone to take the picture, but the wider one has the rounded edge ABOVE the concrete, and the 1/2 sits below. Again, if you're going to get into this project, spend the $5 for the test pieces and see what you like better.

As a reference,here's what the slabgasket looks like.

20160124_1134591_zps7pmtvz3q.jpg
[/URL]

Hello Beast aka Helper!

Good call on getting the test pieces. Too much money and time to take any chances.

I agree with you wanting it to sit at least flush if not just a bit under the side. If you have it where it sits on top it will be a mess to clean over time with stuff getting caught along it.

Will you also put chalk under it or just the plastic stuff? Will it sink down too deep if you use just it?

It is amazing to me what people will live with as a house ages.......I guess they are "blind" to what needs to be done over time. It is not until they go to sell/move that they do anything about it. I want to live in a "ready to sell" house LOL.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.