Actuator for Spillover

Uncle Flappy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2015
Tucson, AZ
I am thinking about adding another actuator (or two) to further automate the water flow system. Currently the wall returns and in-floor cleaning are operated manually thus I leave on the spillover 100% of the time with the exception being when I use pop-ups instead of the robot.

Here is a photo:
valves.jpg

Is there any benefit for better control over the spillover? Before spending the time and money to automate it, I am trying to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.

I appreciate the advice.

- Flappy

I feel that it is worth it because I wouldn't want the spillway running the entire time I filtered the pool. It adds excess aeration (pH rise) and takes away flow from the bigger volume of water that needs the circulation more.

I run the pump in pool circulation mode for what is required and then run the spillway for 30-45 mins per day. This is fully automated as I feel yours should be.

- - - Updated - - -

The valve actuator that you have installed should do exactly what you are trying to do. Where are you talking about adding an actuator?

The valve actuator that you have installed should do exactly what you are trying to do. Where are you talking about adding an actuator?
The valve actuator currently installed rotates to open the spa jets and close all other returns.
If I were only to add one actuator, I believe the proper place would be at the Pool Wall return thus blocking the In-floor and Spa return/spill over. That being said, I may add two so that I can control the pop-ups too.

- Bill

The pool is getting chlorinated throughout the day. When it switches to the spillway, the chlorinated water from the pool is run through the SWG again, more chlorine produced and then dumped into the spa.

My spa is 900 gallons and the flow from my pump is 50 gpm for the spillway mode. In 30 mins I turn the volume of the spa over almost 1-1/2 times...far more than the pool could ever dream of getting, so yes, that time frame is way more than adequate.

The valve actuator currently installed rotates to open the spa jets and close all other returns.
If I were only to add one actuator, I believe the proper place would be at the Pool Wall return thus blocking the In-floor and Spa return/spill over. That being said, I may add two so that I can control the pop-ups too.

- Bill

I would use the current actuator for your spillway mode. The only downside is that the jets would be running during this time (but that's how most spas run including mine) and put another actuator on the next closest valve to switch between the pool wall return and the floor cleaners. I would turn the spa wall return off completely and not use it. It is redundant in this case and if it is a single return, would really inhibit flow to the spa without another additional line open.

If you didn't want the jets to operate, you can put a valve on the airline to close it off, and only turn it on when you are actually using the spa and want the jets on.

I would use the current actuator for your spillway mode. The only downside is that the jets would be running during this time (but that's how most spas run including mine) and put another actuator on the next closest valve to switch between the pool wall return and the floor cleaners. I would turn the spa wall return off completely and not use it. It is redundant in this case and if it is a single return, would really inhibit flow to the spa without another additional line open.

If you didn't want the jets to operate, you can put a valve on the airline to close it off, and only turn it on when you are actually using the spa and want the jets on.

Interesting thought. How is that going to work with switching between the pool and spa intake for heating and cleaning? If I move the actuator to the spillway relay, it will automatically turn off in Spa Mode. As wired today, Spa Mode opens the jets and switches drains.

It should function one in the same. The spillway function is a special circuit that only activates the return side valve. The intake valve remains on the pool side suction. I'm a Pentair guy and not all that familiar with Jandy automation but it should be similar.

I rememeber seeing that the spillway circuit had something to do with Aux 3 on the Jandy systems. If I get some time, I'll look up that info in the manual for you. Spillways are pretty standard with pool/spa combos so setting it up that way should not be difficult.

I want to do this on my pool too. Currently I run my spa spillway all the time and all I'd really need to do is add another CVA-24 actuator to the 3-way valve that splits the return water between the single spa return and the three pool returns.

Anyone know if those actuators can be set so that position 1 is set to 100% pool return but position 2 is actually a mix of 60/40 spa/pool return? I've never opened one up to see where the limit switches are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Correct- spillway goes on the #3 relay with a DIP switch turned on but by default the spillway is off in Spa Mode. That would mean no jets unless I am missing something.

You'll have to try it and see. I need to research it but I am more than positive there is a way to do this with your system. Spillway and Spa are standard functions.

I want to do this on my pool too. Currently I run my spa spillway all the time and all I'd really need to do is add another CVA-24 actuator to the 3-way valve that splits the return water between the single spa return and the three pool returns.

Anyone know if those actuators can be set so that position 1 is set to 100% pool return but position 2 is actually a mix of 60/40 spa/pool return? I've never opened one up to see where the limit switches are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

The limit switches are adjustable and very easy to change. Why not just use the pool/spa return valve to do this? You wouldn't need an additional actuator in that case and the look of your spillway would be a lot more attractive with the full return leaving the spa into the pool.

This is the way Pentair designed it to work.

Do you not already have a spillway feature circuit?

You'll have to try it and see. I need to research it but I am more than positive there is a way to do this with your system. Spillway and Spa are standard functions.

Hmmm... Maybe you are right. From the manual:

The SPA switches water circulation from the pool to spa (pool/spa combination models only). Turning on the spa also activates the filter pump (after a delay for valve rotation) and deactivates the pool cleaner if it is on.

It should be easy enough to test although I currently have the laminar lights on that relay and will need to relocate them.

PS - Hey JoyfulNoise - good to hear from you.

The limit switches are adjustable and very easy to change. Why not just use the pool/spa return valve to do this? You wouldn't need an additional actuator in that case and the look of your spillway would be a lot more attractive with the full return leaving the spa into the pool.

This is the way Pentair designed it to work.

Do you not already have a spillway feature circuit?

I'll have to start another thread to avoid hijacking Flappy's thread. I'll add a picture of my return side so you and others can see the valve configuration.

But, yes, at the moment my spillway is manually adjusted at the pad using a three way valve. A pictures worth a thousand words so I'll post it tomorrow.

Bummer - back to square one. This too was in the manual:

Spillover Lockout
The spillover will only activate if the system is in pool mode (i.e., water circulating to pool). The spillover requires that water is circulating to the pool in order for it to operate. Return to pool mode to activate the spillover. Also, if the pool cleaner is on, it will turn off during spillover operation.

Spillover

When DIP Switch S1-3 is in the ON position, the Aux. 3 relay socket is activated and the return valve actuator turns. The spillover is disabled while the spa is on. A message is displayed when spillover is turned on while in spa mode (water circulation is to spa). The spillover requires that water circulation is to pool in order to operate. The spillover will activate when the system switches back to pool mode.

I don't see the issue. The intake should be on the pool suction when the spillover activates.

You would never want to run the spillover while in spa mode, in fact, that is not possible since the intake would be from the spa and the return is to the spa...its not possible to have a spillover. The pool cleaner mode deactivates the spillover because it assumes you need the pressure for the pressure side pool cleaner.

Again, I am not a Jandy guy, but all of the automation systems for pool/spa combos come with an actuator for the intake and the return valves. Having a spillway function is part of the requirement of having a connected pool and spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.