Sand Filter and Water Return

Uncle Flappy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2015
Tucson, AZ
In testing the effectiveness of the sand filter, I poured a small amount of stabilizer into the skimmer and a portion (but but not all) of it came back into the pool from the wall return. I haven’t seen any sand in the pool so doubt that a lateral is broken; however, all other attempted troubleshooting did not prevent similar results. I disassembled the backwash valve to ensure the O-rings were good – no problems there. I also did a deep clean on the sand to rule out any channeling.

What next? Should I remove all the sand to visually inspect the internal components or is some loss expected?

Thanks for your help.

- Flappy

If you're not getting sand back into the pool, then I would suspect the multiport or the internal air relief inside the filter.

Try this, screw a fitting into a return and then put a kneehi stocking over the fitting with a rubber band to see if it catches any sand.

If you're not getting sand back into the pool, then I would suspect the multiport or the internal air relief inside the filter.

Try this, screw a fitting into a return and then put a kneehi stocking over the fitting with a rubber band to see if it catches any sand.
I'll give that a try at various pump speeds. FWIW, I don't have a multiport valve - it is just a backwash slide valve and it checked out ok.
The air relieve intrigues me - I'm not familiar how that works.

PENTAIR

The tube goes into the return pipe after the laterals. If it's open, then you will get some debris bypassing the filter. There are two different strainers depending on the date of manufacture. See the parts list above.

Sounds like we are on to something, thanks, and the prospect of avoiding scooping sand has me giddy.
Just so I am clear, is it just a fitting that needs to sit on the end of the hose or does it actually attach to the dome? Right now the hose slides through the difuser but it is open-ended.

Edit: Looks like that very well could be the issue. Sounds like I need one of these:

154578-2-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's the part you need. If it's a newer filter, then you need the screen that fits the 3/8" tubing. If it's older, then you need the screen that fits the 1/4" tubing.

The 3/8" is used on filters manufactured after 11-1-99.

The screen just pushes onto the tubing and does not attach to the dome

Closing the loop on this. I installed the screen and that did indeed resolve the issue. Unlike last time, adding a small amount of CYA in the skimmer did not result in any of it back out the return.

Thanks for all the help!

- Flappy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.