Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair VS Pump - Control Panel Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair VS Pump - Control Panel Issues

We built our pool a little over a year ago, and we have had to replace the electronic control panel on the top of our Pentair pump twice so far due to water damage. It has been covered by warranty, but I'd prefer not to go through this every six months. The first time, the panel went out immediately after a severe thunderstorm. The second time, it went out a few weeks after a severe storm. My question is, do people typically have some sort of cover/enclosure for their pool equipment to protect them from the elements, or should I at least cover it temporarily during storms? We don't get a ton of rain down here, but we can get some very heavy storms from time to time. I'm just trying to figure out ways to prevent this from happening over and over. Thanks.
    Dallas area | 12' x 29' 10K gallon IG gunite/plaster with 12" raised spa | DE filter, Variable Speed pump, 400K BTU heater, pool cleaner with booster pump, all Pentair equipment | Taylor K-2006 test kit | Excavation 9/16/2014; Pool filled on 10/17/2014

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pentair VS Pump - Control Panel Issues

I have a Pentair VS pump and have done a couple of things to protect it.
    One, I have a cover over it to protect it from the heavy rain we have during monsoon season. It is just a plastic storage bin from Home Depot that I cut up with a utility knife to fit over the pump, but it does a good job of keeping rain and moisture off the pump.

Two, I have added two "whole house" type surge protectors. One is at my main service panel and protects all my electronics from surges coming from the power grid. The second, smaller on is on my pool sub-panel and protects all my pool equipment. The long run of wire between the main panel and sub panel can act kind of like an antenna picking up stray power spikes, during thunderstorms. Cost for both surge protectors about $150, plus $8 for the storage bin/cover.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response. I found a PVC cover on amazon that I may try, or I could craft something myself as you mentioned.
    Dallas area | 12' x 29' 10K gallon IG gunite/plaster with 12" raised spa | DE filter, Variable Speed pump, 400K BTU heater, pool cleaner with booster pump, all Pentair equipment | Taylor K-2006 test kit | Excavation 9/16/2014; Pool filled on 10/17/2014

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The surge protection is very important.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I would think that the surge protector will buy you more protection than the cover. Ours has been uncovered for 3-1/2 years with no issues. But, a cover could certainly help.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I suggest you install one of these Surge Protectors in your Easytouch Circuit Breaker panel..

Surge Protector.jpg

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

As I said I used two whole hours surge protectors. Here is the smaller one I used on the pool sub panel. At only $25 it's cheap protection.

Amazon.com: Square D by Schneider Electric SDSA1175 Panel Mounted Single Phase Type 1 Surge Protective Device: Home Improvement

And here is the larger one (Eaton Ultra) that I installed at my main service panel. At $110, it cost a bit more but has a higher surge capacity and protects the whole house. A little hunting you may find it for $100 or less with no shipping. I did.

Surge Protect, 120/240V, 108kA Max, 20kA In: Circuit Breakers: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

It's an easy DIY as long as you know what you are doing and are ok working with electrical. Instructions are clear and straightforward. I did both is an afternoon. I highly recommend both. The one in Jim's previous post will fit only a SquareD box and uses up two breaker slots. Both that I posted are universal and will fit any breaker box.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

8. Back To Top    #8

I installed the Eaton Ultra in my main panel. It requires a 2 pole 50A breaker. Looked like the best deal out there and was an easy install.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't know how he could tell, but the pool guy said that the issues were caused by water physically damaging the electronics, not from an electrical surge. I will definitely look into these whole house surge protectors though. It seems like a good idea regardless. Thanks everyone.

10. Back To Top    #10

All I can think of is that he must have seen some residual water or rust spots inside the control panel. Which should definitely be fixed under warranty because it should not leak.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach