Starting my research: Owner Builder in Tucson

Jan 18, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Hello everyone. I've been lurking the past few days and decided it time I start to put some real effort in this process. We are looking to build this year. To be honest I really have no idea where to start, but with the few threads I've read through it seems like there are many folks here that have wonderful experience. If anyone can give me some pointers of where to begin with an owner/builder process I would really appreciate it.

In the meantime we're going to hit the local big name builders to get some prelim ideas.

Thanks in advance everyone, I look forward to becoming a part of the community here!

-J

OK, so the pics i uploaded with taptalk were upside down. Let's see if we can try again.
Nope, can't remove attachments from the editor. hopefully a mod can fix.
Sorry guys.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1453172305753.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1453172305753.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 163
  • uploadfromtaptalk1453172313092.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1453172313092.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 164
Here is a satellite image of the house/yard. The pool will be on the left side of the yard. (We'd rather have it on the right side because we could see the catalina's but unfortunately the septic tank is about 12 feet off the house) So the wall on the left of this image is about 57ft if I remember, and it's about 35ft from that wall to the edge of the patio. We're going to put in an elevated spa, and we orig thought the spa would be near the lower left. We own a good bit of property beyond the enclosed walls, so I don't think we'll have to worry about any ordinances. Secondly, there is a 10ft sliding gate to allow equipment access within the walls. It's a good problem to have.
Screenshot from 2016-01-18 20-40-30.jpg

Hi Jim,

I just saw your PM, and will send a response with names, details, etc. We may not be any further along than you, but things are about to get real for us. I'll start another Tucson build thread, hopefully in the next week. I'm jealous of all the space you have. Maybe its the upside down pictures, but I can't tell from your view of the Catalinas where you are located? Vail? Marana?

We're Northeast of Orange Grove/LaCholla Those are actually the Tucson mountains looking sw from the yard.

Hi Jim,

I just saw your PM, and will send a response with names, details, etc. We may not be any further along than you, but things are about to get real for us. I'll start another Tucson build thread, hopefully in the next week. I'm jealous of all the space you have. Maybe its the upside down pictures, but I can't tell from your view of the Catalinas where you are located? Vail? Marana?

We have an idea of what we want, I have a few calls into some designers. Quick question though... when I start to research subs, how do I know what is a good price? I haven't had much luck, though I haven't done much searching either about how I should estimate subs fees.
Any guidance?

Best bet is getting competitive bids from multiple potential subs, then you'll know if a quoted price is an outlier or not. I looked at a few threads on TFP where sub expenses were listed (bulldogz400, And5555) and one or two I stumbled across on google to get a "ballpark" of what people were paying in Phoenix or Las Vegas, which probably are not too far off. I think you've got to assume the first price you are quoted is not their best price, and will have to work each sub a little (not so much that they won't want to do your job), let them know if you've got a lower bid you want them to beat, and lastly see if cash helps their price at all. I'll share my notes with you as I start getting bids from Tucson subs on my build, but at the rate I am going, you will pass me up soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, ask your PB's who are bidding, which subs they use! We're not an OB but we have three builders competing for our business and all three have told us their subs. They seem to use it as a way to say, see, mine are better than theirs. Most subs will work directly for owners as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.