Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting my research: Owner Builder in Tucson

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting my research: Owner Builder in Tucson

Hello everyone. I've been lurking the past few days and decided it time I start to put some real effort in this process. We are looking to build this year. To be honest I really have no idea where to start, but with the few threads I've read through it seems like there are many folks here that have wonderful experience. If anyone can give me some pointers of where to begin with an owner/builder process I would really appreciate it.

In the meantime we're going to hit the local big name builders to get some prelim ideas.

Thanks in advance everyone, I look forward to becoming a part of the community here!

-J

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting my research: Owner Builder in Tucson

Welcome to TFP Miata! There are quite a few OBs in your area. I'm sure you'll get help in no time! And don't forget to post pics. It helps everyone see your vision for your space!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, so the pics i uploaded with taptalk were upside down. Let's see if we can try again.
    Nope, can't remove attachments from the editor. hopefully a mod can fix.
    Sorry guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a satellite image of the house/yard. The pool will be on the left side of the yard. (We'd rather have it on the right side because we could see the catalina's but unfortunately the septic tank is about 12 feet off the house) So the wall on the left of this image is about 57ft if I remember, and it's about 35ft from that wall to the edge of the patio. We're going to put in an elevated spa, and we orig thought the spa would be near the lower left. We own a good bit of property beyond the enclosed walls, so I don't think we'll have to worry about any ordinances. Secondly, there is a 10ft sliding gate to allow equipment access within the walls. It's a good problem to have.
    Screenshot from 2016-01-18 20-40-30.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Jim,

I just saw your PM, and will send a response with names, details, etc. We may not be any further along than you, but things are about to get real for us. I'll start another Tucson build thread, hopefully in the next week. I'm jealous of all the space you have. Maybe its the upside down pictures, but I can't tell from your view of the Catalinas where you are located? Vail? Marana?
    Owner Build. 32x16, with 6x8 raised spa. Broke ground April 1, 2016, swimming July 18. Pentair Intelliflo VS + Whisperflo for Water features; Clean & Clear Filter 420; Master Temp Heater 400k BTU; Intellibrite 120V pool and spa lights; Regular ol' plaster.

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL no idea how to fix the upside down pic. We also have some that come out sideways! We will all just have to stand on our heads to see it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

We're Northeast of Orange Grove/LaCholla Those are actually the Tucson mountains looking sw from the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by azdesertpool View Post
    Hi Jim,

I just saw your PM, and will send a response with names, details, etc. We may not be any further along than you, but things are about to get real for us. I'll start another Tucson build thread, hopefully in the next week. I'm jealous of all the space you have. Maybe its the upside down pictures, but I can't tell from your view of the Catalinas where you are located? Vail? Marana?

8. Back To Top    #8

We have an idea of what we want, I have a few calls into some designers. Quick question though... when I start to research subs, how do I know what is a good price? I haven't had much luck, though I haven't done much searching either about how I should estimate subs fees.
    Any guidance?

9. Back To Top    #9

Best bet is getting competitive bids from multiple potential subs, then you'll know if a quoted price is an outlier or not. I looked at a few threads on TFP where sub expenses were listed (bulldogz400, And5555) and one or two I stumbled across on google to get a "ballpark" of what people were paying in Phoenix or Las Vegas, which probably are not too far off. I think you've got to assume the first price you are quoted is not their best price, and will have to work each sub a little (not so much that they won't want to do your job), let them know if you've got a lower bid you want them to beat, and lastly see if cash helps their price at all. I'll share my notes with you as I start getting bids from Tucson subs on my build, but at the rate I am going, you will pass me up soon.
    Owner Build. 32x16, with 6x8 raised spa. Broke ground April 1, 2016, swimming July 18. Pentair Intelliflo VS + Whisperflo for Water features; Clean & Clear Filter 420; Master Temp Heater 400k BTU; Intellibrite 120V pool and spa lights; Regular ol' plaster.

10. Back To Top    #10

You are going to LOVE this thread! Use what fits for your situation.

What I've learned from TFP... So far...

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Also, ask your PB's who are bidding, which subs they use! We're not an OB but we have three builders competing for our business and all three have told us their subs. They seem to use it as a way to say, see, mine are better than theirs. Most subs will work directly for owners as well.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools