Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Encore "Cool" Concrete Paint over Kool-Deck? (Rehab project from....)

1. Back To Top    #1

Encore "Cool" Concrete Paint over Kool-Deck? (Rehab project from....)

Hi Folks

The weather is starting to warm up here in Phoenix, and the pool projects are beginning. I've got a well weathered, probably 20+ year old patio surface around my pool that is the old "Kool Deck" material. I've patched it in a couple places here and there, but the whole surface needs a revitalization.

I've been looking at 2 options (both include a heavy duty pressure wash and TSP cleaning, so figure that's covered) and remember these are going over the kool-deck texture.

1 - Painting over the existing surface with a patio / concrete paint like the Valspar outdoor stuff, with some of the silica in it for anti-slip.

2 - Applying the new "Cool Deck" polymer stuff - I like the "marketing" behind this stuff (it's cooler, last, yada yada yada) but it's **** expensive, about $800 for what I need versus about $100 worth of paint, and I have no way to know how to tint it to the color I want.

I just don't know how much I want to invest this year, if I'm going to come back in 2 or 3 years and have the entire thing re-surfaced professionally....

Thoughts anyone? other options?

Oh - second question - any of you use UGL Drylock as a surface paint for the concrete "Edge" around the pool itself? or should I just use regular concrete paint there too. My 'crete is getting a bit porous around the pool and I was thinking the UGL may help the longevity of it.
    28K Gallon old-skool plaster hole in the back yard in desperate need of an acid wash and a fixed skimmer diverter (yes, it's still broken)
    Hayward SuperPumpVS pushing some giant hayward cartridge filter setup
    SharcVacXL and Zodiac G2 to keep things clean

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Encore "Cool" Concrete Paint over Kool-Deck? (Rehab project from....)

My pool deck needs to be refinished too. I'll be following this thread with interest.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Is there any delamination or just weathering?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

AS far as any delamination, maybe 2 or 3 spots that are about the size of a quarter. It's not in "bad" shape, but it's chipped, and scuffed, and there's a couple of cracks, bolt holes, etc that have been patched up over the years. I'm not looking for something to give it a "uniform" look, rather just give it a color refresher.

I'm leaning towards the Encore cool, even though it's 2 to 3x the price of paint, but it looks like that's a "one and done" option - I don't want to be out re-painting this darn thing every year.

BN
    28K Gallon old-skool plaster hole in the back yard in desperate need of an acid wash and a fixed skimmer diverter (yes, it's still broken)

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought some of this "Cool" product from encore about a year ago but I can't comment much because I haven't put it on yet. Still waiting for my concrete (long story).

Anyway, bought it in part because of all of the rave reviews that I have read about it. Do a search and you will find them. On this site and other places as well.
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I think I've convinced myself (after talking to a buddy at work that moonlights as a contractor) that I'm going to actually go with either a paint or stain this go-around, and put the additional $600 or $700 difference from the cool deck towards a complete re-finish of the plaster and the pool surface in a year or so. This is only a short term fix (more cosmetic than anything) so I'm going to test out some different things.

Stay tuned

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't forget to include pics! We all want to see before and after shots!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

8. Back To Top    #8

I have done mine, I did use a bonding agent first for something for the paint to bond to.
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster