Hard plumb question

witz07

May 15, 2013
I got a new 24' pool installed last year and the installers did not add any valves to the flexible hoses. I will hard plumb before re-opening this year. I plan to use union/ball valves and sch 40 PVC pipes. I know I need a valve between the skimmer and pump so I can clean the pump basket but I'm unsure if I need a valve on the line from the sand filter to pool return or if I need one between the pump and sand filter. Please share where your valves are located and how/when you use them.

Thanks,
Brian

Unions do NOT forget unions!

I have a valve every where something comes out of the pool-return and skimmer. I also have a valve for the back wash pipe so I can drain off water as needed from rain.

I will take a pic when it gets lighter to show you.

Just think of it like this............you want to be able to stop the water from coming out of the pool=valves.

You also want to be able to clean your filter=unions.

You want to be able to service your pump=union

Post up your equipment and we can help that way also.

Kim

If I do not install a valve between the sand filter and return, will I lose water when removing the pump basket (assuming I closed the valve between the skimmer and pump)?

Yes you will as there will be nothing to stop the water from coming out the return to the filter to the basket. (ask me how I know LOL)

You must put something in every opening that allows water in and out of the pool. Be it a valve or stopper of some sort.

I would get unions for the filter so you can remove the top easier.

Kim

Yes, you will lose water. When you open the pump basket water will flow from the return, backwards through the sand filter and backwards through your pump and out the basket. I have a separate valve on every line that penetrates my pool's wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Kim, you beat me to it.

witz, If you have not already done so you need to "water proof" the area under and around your skimmer. I dug down about 3 inches and put rocks THEN put pavers on top of that making sure to not touch the pool wall. That way when (notice I did not say if) you overflow the skimmer or a pipe/hose comes loose it will not wash out your pool bottom.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.