Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hard plumb question

1. Back To Top    #1

Hard plumb question

I got a new 24' pool installed last year and the installers did not add any valves to the flexible hoses. I will hard plumb before re-opening this year. I plan to use union/ball valves and sch 40 PVC pipes. I know I need a valve between the skimmer and pump so I can clean the pump basket but I'm unsure if I need a valve on the line from the sand filter to pool return or if I need one between the pump and sand filter. Please share where your valves are located and how/when you use them.

Thanks,
    Brian
    24' above ground pool; sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hard plumb question

Unions do NOT forget unions!

I have a valve every where something comes out of the pool-return and skimmer. I also have a valve for the back wash pipe so I can drain off water as needed from rain.

I will take a pic when it gets lighter to show you.

Just think of it like this............you want to be able to stop the water from coming out of the pool=valves.

You also want to be able to clean your filter=unions.

You want to be able to service your pump=union

Post up your equipment and we can help that way also.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

A union between the pump and filter will allow you to easily remove the pump when needed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm unable to attach a photo. The pump/filter I have is:

https://www.poolplaza.com/media/cata...ter_Combos.jpg

The union/ball valves I was referring to are:

https://www.lowes.ca/valves/american..._g1200289.html

If I do not install a valve between the sand filter and return, will I lose water when removing the pump basket (assuming I closed the valve between the skimmer and pump)?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by witz07 View Post
    If I do not install a valve between the sand filter and return, will I lose water when removing the pump basket (assuming I closed the valve between the skimmer and pump)?
    Yes you will as there will be nothing to stop the water from coming out the return to the filter to the basket. (ask me how I know LOL)

You must put something in every opening that allows water in and out of the pool. Be it a valve or stopper of some sort.

I would get unions for the filter so you can remove the top easier.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, you will lose water. When you open the pump basket water will flow from the return, backwards through the sand filter and backwards through your pump and out the basket. I have a separate valve on every line that penetrates my pool's wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Kim, you beat me to it.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you both. I thought that might be the case but was hoping I was wrong.

8. Back To Top    #8

witz, If you have not already done so you need to "water proof" the area under and around your skimmer. I dug down about 3 inches and put rocks THEN put pavers on top of that making sure to not touch the pool wall. That way when (notice I did not say if) you overflow the skimmer or a pipe/hose comes loose it will not wash out your pool bottom.

Kim