Fiberglass Pool Build Southeast PA

Dec 16, 2015
Southeast, PA
Although I won't be breaking ground until around March, I figured I'd start this thread and keep the forum updated on any progress. I'm currently waiting for the permits which lately have been taking a bit longer to get in the region. I have chosen a 16x35 Cancun fiberglass pool by Viking. I have included the design photo of the pool, as well as the location of where it will go. Here are the specs:

16x35
Depth: 3"6"-6"6"
14,000 gallons
1 Skimmer, 2 Returns, 1 Main drain
2 Deck Jets
3 Benches
Clean gravel fill
Sump pit
2" PVC Piping
Hayward 1.5 hp Super pump
Hayward Swimclear 3030 (325 Sq. ft Cartridge). I may upgrade to 425 Sq ft.
Hayward Aquarite SWCG (T-15 40,000 cell).
Hayward H Series 250,000 BTU Gas Heater
3 Hayward LED Lights
Dolphin Active 10 (I'd like to upgrade to the Active 20 or 30i) the Dolphin was thrown in free along with the heater.
All other cleaning equipment (Brush, poles, vacuum, etc.)
2 Trucks of water (I have a well)

Those should be enough specs to get the ball rolling. I'm open to questions, comments and suggestions. Here are the photos.

Congratulations on your pool plans! I like the shape and the bench locations, and it looks like your yard will be perfect for a pool. I'll be looking forward to watching as fiberglass builds are less common for me. Keep us posted as things develop. :)

Thanks JamieP. I certainly feel outnumbered watching all of the gunite threads including yours :p. Fiberglass seems to be more prominent around this area although there are some gunite pools. Hopefully this thread can give others some more insight on FG builds that isn't already covered.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats!

There are quite a few FG pools here. That is a nice one. I really like all the benches, especially the big one on the deep end. Benches are great for kids and adults. That is a great spot for a pool!

More here on adding your pool info to your signature, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

I know the main focus now is building your pool, but the long term need is maintaining your water, here are some links for that. You need something to do over winter besides look at pool pics!

Start here for water chemistry, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And this is my favorite saltwater pool page, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

And get a TF100 from TFTestkits.net

Welcome to TFP! Congrats!

There are quite a few FG pools here. That is a nice one. I really like all the benches, especially the big one on the deep end. Benches are great for kids and adults. That is a great spot for a pool!

And get a TF100 from TFTestkits.net

I like the benches a lot as well. I was a bit surprised at first when I learned I would be able to get that option with FG. Like anything else, technology just continues to improve overtime. I am certainly going to order the TF-100. I have read the reagents expire after about a year or two. Do you know how often they are produced at the lab? For example should I wait until right before the pool is built to order it, or if I order it now will I get the same life expectancy since they are mass produced?

Awesome choice and backyard. I also chose a Viking FG for my pool. I was going to go with the Cancun but decided to go with the Caribbean which is the bigger brother of the Cancun.
Out of curiosity who did u use as the builder? Mine was from south Jersey.
Congrats in advance!!

The Caribbean is nice as well. I wouldn't mind it. I debated actually going with that one instead. Am I allowed to post the PB name? I didn't think I was. They are one of the biggest PBs for fiberglass in SE PA. FG is pretty much all they do and it's their specialty.

I am also getting quote same pool but no equipment. Going to follow this thread.

My PB is a Hayward dealer so they get good prices on all of the equipment. I'm assuming that's why they were able to throw in the heater. I'm also getting a 3 year warranty as opposed to just a one year by purchasing it through them and having them install it. I know Raypak is highly recommended for heaters but for them just throwing it in, I can't complain. Besides the cupro nickel coating (not that I'm planning on having unbalanced water thanks to this great site) is certainly a plus.

What fun! I LOVE the crane pictures! SO scary and so fun at the same time!

There looks to be a slope to your yard. How will the deal with that for a fiberglass pool?

Lets pm names instead of posting on the open board please.

Kim

You can order that test kit whenever you are ready, it is always fresh and guaranteed for a year. It will be good for this summer and next summer. The following spring they will send you an email offering a discounted refill kit. If you get it a little early you can test the PH, TA and CH of your fill water and plan ahead a little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Marla they will lift it off the flatbed truck with a crane. If we are REALLY lucky they will have to go OVER the house to set it down. It is a thing of beauty to watch an experienced crane person do his stuff.

I just KNOW the PO will take a video for us! LOL

Kim

There looks to be a slope to your yard. How will the deal with that for a fiberglass pool?

Yes there is a slope in the yard. I was already told they will have to regrade my yard about 1-2 feet in some areas so I can kiss my grass goodbye, lol. They said during the process people are always going nuts because it looks like they are just tearing up the yard. In the end I will end up with a level yard that will ensure no runoff into the pool.

You can order that test kit whenever you are ready, it is always fresh and guaranteed for a year. It will be good for this summer and next summer. The following spring they will send you an email offering a discounted refill kit. If you get it a little early you can test the PH, TA and CH of your fill water and plan ahead a little.

Can you recommend a solution to test for metals in the top off water I will be using? I'm going to have water trucked in for the initial fill but even just topping off the pool every now and then, I'm a little concerned due the well with everything I have read. There doesn't really seem like a reliable way to thoroughly filter metals out of well water.

Marla they will lift it off the flatbed truck with a crane. If we are REALLY lucky they will have to go OVER the house to set it down. It is a thing of beauty to watch an experienced crane person do his stuff.

I just KNOW the PO will take a video for us! LOL

Kim

LOL! That makes sense! I thought you meant there was already a crane in the pic he posted! I do remember another FG build with the crane. Great pics!

A few things to note. The 6'6" depth is if the pool is full to the top, with the skimmer in you will probably lose 6". Also, I would have a conversation (and get it in writing if you can), about how level the pool will be. Mine was about 2" off, and if I didn't notice it they would have left it that way. By the looks of your yard, they will just drive the pool back and offload it with an excavator or telehandler.

Congrats on your upcoming build! You will love the salt system and you're spot on by going with the T-15 cell. I Amin the process of replacing our old (31 years old) fiberglass pool with a gunite pool. We loved the fiberglass, but it feel open leaks and severely bowing walls. I feel this was mostly due to the installation process back in 1984. Lots of improvements, technology, and processes have occurred since those days. See my post if you want to see how it was taken out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I have seen some of the nightmare threads on TFP and was assured by the PB they use lasers to ensure the pool is level. I believe the new FG pool standard is half inch from one side to the other. Many builders also rant about using gravel over sand to prevent settling and causing this exact issue.

Can anyone chime in about the distance of the pool pad to the pool? I was told the closer the equipment is to the deep end the less head loss there will be.

Congrats on your upcoming build! You will love the salt system and you're spot on by going with the T-15 cell. I Amin the process of replacing our old (31 years old) fiberglass pool with a gunite pool. We loved the fiberglass, but it feel open leaks and severely bowing walls. I feel this was mostly due to the installation process back in 1984. Lots of improvements, technology, and processes have occurred since those days. See my post if you want to see how it was taken out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like many issues with pools end up having to do with the installation. I am confident I found the right PB. Alot of it may come down to are the contractors having a good day or not lol.

Welcome to TFP, Max!
Skippy and I love our fiberglass pool. You can view the install via the link in the siggy line.

I think you got a great deal with that heater thrown in! I wish we had a heater, so I occasionally play the lottery hoping to win "Heater Money!"......sadly we have yet to win. Feh. ;)

I would suggest the bigger filter...will extend the time between necessary cleanings.

Look forward to watching your install :)

Yippee :flower:

The metal test is just about the only one we say have done at the pool store. It might be spot on BUT it will tell you if there is any metal in your water. You can go ahead and have it done so we can tell you what to get/done just in case.

Kim

Welcome to TFP, Max!
Skippy and I love our fiberglass pool. You can view the install via the link in the siggy line.

I think you got a great deal with that heater thrown in! I wish we had a heater, so I occasionally play the lottery hoping to win "Heater Money!"......sadly we have yet to win. Feh. ;)

I would suggest the bigger filter...will extend the time between necessary cleanings.

Look forward to watching your install :)

Yippee :flower:

The 325 sq. ft. cartridge should certainly be more than enough but the 425 even better. In the rare occurrence of an algae break I wonder if it would make a big difference between the two being that they are cartridge filters. I get the impression they are a PITA regardless of what size you have.

The metal test is just about the only one we say have done at the pool store. It might be spot on BUT it will tell you if there is any metal in your water. You can go ahead and have it done so we can tell you what to get/done just in case.

Kim

I'll stop by the pool store within the next week or two and get a test done. Worst comes to worse I may have to buy a portable tank and fill it up with good water and use that to top off. Where there's a will there's a way!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.