Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Natural gas heater help

1. Back To Top    #1

Natural gas heater help

Hi folks,

First time poster and new to pools! We bought our home early last spring and inherited an unground 32 x 16 lagoon shaped pool. The heater (Laars?) conked out on us mid summer after giving us a lot of trouble right off the start. We wasted hundreds of dollars trying to fix it.

Anyhow, we tried solar blankets but Canadian summers are hot and miss and so we'd like to get a new heater, leaning towards a N. gas. I don't know much about solar or other heaters - would they be worth a try? Heard the gas heats fastest and might be best for our climate.

The brands I see most often are Hayward and Raypack but others are available. Should I go with an electronic model or manual one? Should I choose one brand over others? Or is there much difference? We are willing to spend a bit more of the brand can give us more years and better reliability and overall cheaper service. I would also like to get a very efficient model.

So, having given some background, what would you folks recommend? Should I bother even considering solar? I am not too keen on the panels as I find them to be an eyesore... also, I have read that initial investment cost is very high.

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Natural gas heater help

Welcome to TFP!

Raypak seems to be a crowd favorite on TFP as far as brands go. Generally, gas is used for quick heating, spot heating or special occasions and heat pumps are used when planning to keep a pool heated all of the time to maintain a temperature.

Solar panels can definitely heat a pool. South or southwest facing panels is a must, especially for your latitude. I don't know how well solar could work in your climate. Hopefully, some more "northern" folks can chime in on solar.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree on the Raypak!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks folks... the company that serviced my heater last year mentioned Raypack too.. typically mid to high 80s and low 90s aren't uncommon in July and August.. but some years it can be cooler...our summers are much like Michigan (I'm in neighbouring Ontario).

I just don't think we have the cash outlay to buy the solar.

How long should I expect the Raypack to last? Should I go with a manual or electronic model?

thanks!!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Manufacturers quote a unit to last 7-10 years but your mileage may vary with many factors involved.

Do NOT get the milivolt units. Many places don't even allow these units to be installed as they have standing pilot lights and it is a waste of gas. So get the electronic spark ignition. You won't be disappointed.

Raypak all the way!
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

+1 ..
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have Rheem...which is a Raypak.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

+2. Get the Raypak, most trouble free brand around.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Splaker
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
    Welcome to the forum Splaker

Thank you everyone... And Raypack it is!

Cheers