Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter Maintenance for Warm Climates

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter Maintenance for Warm Climates

So, I've had my pool for several months now, and in my area it's starting to periodically get into the low to mid 30's. Right now, I keep the pump going about 8 hrs and the vacuum going for an hour. Unfortunately (or fortunately ), I've been so busy with other things that I had to hire a pool guy to do the maintenance, but eventually I'm looking to start doing that myself. So my question is, for people who live where it really doesn't get freezing that often, what kind of maintenance do you do on your pool?

Thanks for the help, Austin
    14.5K gallon IG plaster pool, 1K gallon spa, dual 2hp Jandy pumps, 60 sqft DE filter, 400K BTU NG heater. Dual waterfalls, Jandy Aquapure SWG, Polaris cleaner with 3/4 HP pump, Aqualink RS. See my pool here.

Thanks!, Austin

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Winter Maintenance for Warm Climates

The short answer is to do exactly as you do in the Summer.....just less of it. Chlorine gets easier to maintain and my pool required less vacuuming (less tree debris)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

And I would add that you can save money with far, far less run time per day.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

So Patrick, how much run time would you recommend?
    14.5K gallon IG plaster pool, 1K gallon spa, dual 2hp Jandy pumps, 60 sqft DE filter, 400K BTU NG heater. Dual waterfalls, Jandy Aquapure SWG, Polaris cleaner with 3/4 HP pump, Aqualink RS. See my pool here.

Thanks!, Austin

5. Back To Top    #5

Here in Tucson, I cut my pump run times down to no more than 3hrs/day. I can even skip a day. My acid addition drop to maybe 12-16oz every 14days or so. My SWG stops running when the water temp is below 58F so I add bleach but very infrequently. My FC loss rate is 0.1-0.2ppm per day. I only have to manually vacuum when the wind blows stuff into the pool and it's too heavy for the suction cleaner to get it all.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

We often have sunny winter days in the high 60's to low 70's and maybe down to 40 over night sometimes, never freezing. I maintain the pool the same as I do in summer but reduce the pump run time by an hour. A little less vacuuming with presence to scooping some leaves out instead of getting the vacuum out. I probably should vacuum more.
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, CCL reagents, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

7. Back To Top    #7

in phoenix, water temp in the mid to high 50's during the day. I DID have on the auto-freeze protection thingy, but the pump would start priming at 3am and wake me up, so I just left in on at 10% speed from 10p to 5a when there was a real freeze threat.

But besides the freeze-concerning cold fronts: Running 80% for three hours a day for skimming/in-floor cleaning, and adding some bleach once a week. pH has been holding at 7.7.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir