Why do you post?

Owning a pool is a luxury items for most of us, and I would not be comfortable talking/venting with my friends, family and colleagues about my pool -- it would sound like humble bragging, you know? But here, I can share my worries about which glass tile to use on our steps, etc, etc, etc, with people who get it and understand.

Plus there's all the smart scientists who know everything about testing and managing pools. :)

Owning a pool is a luxury items for most of us, and I would not be comfortable talking/venting with my friends, family and colleagues about my pool -- it would sound like humble bragging, you know? But here, I can share my worries about which glass tile to use on our steps, etc, etc, etc, with people who get it and understand.

Plus there's all the smart scientists who know everything about testing and managing pools. :)

^^^^^ this!! I don't like talking about it to others. I always feel like people think I am bragging when I am talking about my pool and how well cared for it is, and how everyone who steps in my back yard comments on how great it looks and feels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because over my few years here I've gone from complete ignorance about pool chemistry to feeling like I can off answers to people who felt like I did 4 years ago. I understand the chemistry and somewhat infamously the results of improper deck bonding. I offer advice only when I'm fairly confident I can help.......especially to the newcomers who are seemingly overwhelmed. I don't post as often as others and I'm guilty of going dormant in winter as my pool does.

I also like to share my OMG moments.

Aimee

For me, the people in my neighborhood with pools all use services. I wanted to handle the pool myself because I much prefer understanding how things work.

In trying to get a handle on things I kept bumping into this forum and truly thought the tfp method made sense. It also seemed a safe place to ask questions. Turns out most questions I had were already asked and answered.

Search became my best friend, hence the low post count. Starting to feel comfortable enough with my knowledge to begin answering other people's questions!

Wow what a question :) As you can see from my post count, I don't post a whole lot; however, I read until my eyes bleed lol I stumbled across this forum years ago when I had an Intex pool and it was literally a swamp. I wanted to clean it out for summer and get it running. I found this place and the information was invaluable. I cleaned that pool up, leveled it, changed the filter on it and much more all from the knowledge here. Once my son cut the pool with a box cutter, we didn't get another one so I fell to the way side with this place.

Fast forward to last year, we relocated back to Cali and rented a house with a pool (woohoo!!) and the FIRST thing I did was log on here and ordered refills for my dormant test kit. Once I got it, I started testing the water myself and realized that the "pool guy" my landlord had included was useless and eventually got her to fire him and I am essentially the pool guy lol The only thing I don't mess with and she takes care of with services is the equipment. Fortunately, even though the pool and equipment are very old - it is holding up and we are doing our best to maintain it. I have the DE filter serviced 2x a year for $100 a piece (she covers it) and that keeps it all running as needed since I can't backwash.

I try to respond and give back when it is something I know about... I love this community!! :)

For me - when I was researching pools and pool builds I searched and searched for pictures, advice and information and was so excited when I found it - once I started my build I wanted to document my experience as much as possible - because I had lived vicariously through those posts beforehand. I am also a photo nut - I take pics of everything - so I post a LOT!

However, I try NOT to post questions about chemistry if I can help it. My feelings get hurt very easily and advice feels very harsh at times when your knowledge is very limited (like mine). So I am SO VERY thankful so many people post on here every day!! I have been able to answer almost EVERY chemistry question just by searching these forums!

I've been here since SeanB started the forum. I found it in its infancy n I may take a break from time to time, but I'm always here every summer.

I'm sure most everyone here has cuddled a child through a nasty ear infection, a bout of pink eye, or worse.

So after investigating all sorts of latest technology stuff before we built our "final" pool (good grief that sounds ominous), and occasionally bumping into warnings, then finding poolsolutions, writings from Ben Powell, then same from Richard Falk, I realized that something was seriously messed up in the pool world. I backed off copper/silver, ozone and other things, but was super busy with building the pool and renos in our house, blah blah blah. But by the time the water went in, every person I had talked to said to find a pool store you can trust, and they'll tell you what to do. "Find one I can trust?" OK... alarm bells... it's like a lawyer or a real estate agent. Something wrong here.

I had read some stuff from here, which had saved me the grief of ORP sensing, corroborated by a pool service mate of mine who told me he makes a lot of extra money fixing and maintaining the automation, and we're retired and would like to keep our outgoings down. He also told me to be sure to learn about CYA and chlorine. He gave the Cliff's notes version, and it brought me back to TFP. I had read about BBB, but that seemed to have a few gaps based on my water mixing days with fertilizer and boilers. TFP explained it all, down to the last drop, and it was honest. Some of the aspects are experience-based, and not readily quantified or qualified, but in all cases, Chem Geek highlighted sources and basis for the knowledge. That guy must have 5000, 10000, or more hours of work behind his posts. That's passion. And that passion must in part come from knowing right from wrong, and wanting it fixed.

So it all came together. I could keep my pool open every day of the week. Almost never have super-high chlorine levels from weekly shocking. Never have the pool go green the day before a birthday party. Not resign myself to equipment that needs to be replaced every few years. And NOT cause kids to get sick from the pool, or elderly to get the flu more easily. Maybe the water would even look nicer. (you don't believe that one until you see it!)

And I know that the experts here have probably saved 1000s upon 1000s of children from crying through the night with tummy aches and everything else that gets shared in pools. So I decided I better learn this stuff and learn it as best I can (which would benefit me too). And maybe pitch in on a few easy ones if it gets busy in springtime over there, and leave most to the brainiacs. If all goes well, I might help someone overcome a barrier and save a kid from a tummy ache.

Fair dunkum, mates, we're seriously lucky to have TFP and it's contributors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.